Re: Sharing KitKat update complaints, there should be plenty
stephanie11

I agree that taking away the letters on the side is ridiculous.  You spend too much time trying to figure where the letters are, but it is almost as fast to scroll to the letter.

0 Likes
stephanie11

This was my first time on the boards because I haven't had any issues with verizon or my phone.  If I want to download the app for swype what would you suggest I type in to find it quickly.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Open the Play Store and then search for Nuance or Swype.

You can use this link here.

Swype Keyboard - Android Apps on Google Play

Don't worry at the warning.  Any keyboard is required to give that message including preinstalled ones.  It is somewhat sad that Nuance revoked the beta licensing imho, but they are out to make money on something they spent a lot of time developing.

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

Kit Kat is the worse.  Too many MAJOR system changes.  The tiny things that are likeable , and there are not many, these could have been added to a JellyBean update. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The changes were set forth by Google not Verizon or any other manufacturer.  If you don't like the changes switch platforms or send you disdain to Google about what they do with their operating system.

0 Likes
nannyx6

I hate this new update!  I can shut off the mobile data yet suddenly instead of being connected to my wireless it's jumped back without me knowing to mobile data.  I can't get rid of text messages I've read without shutting the phone completely down.  Sometimes I get a text message alert - sometimes not (by the way I hate the white alert now).  I also don't like how you have to keep going back and back within you text messages to text someone new.  Sometimes it saves pictures I'm sent thru texting sometimes not - what's the deal???  Sometimes auto correct works in texting sometimes not - if I want to use it I have to shut down AGAIN and then "maybe" it will work.  Battery drains much to fast now - wish there was an UNDO button!!!  I don't get it,  why fix it if it doesn't need fixing??  Please give us the option of going back to the old operating system!!!!!

0 Likes
b2d
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would like to update my problem list from recent update. I now receive repeated text alerts from messages I've already read. Also I will join the folks who have noticed a significant decrease in battery life. I used to be able to go more than one day on a full charge. Now I have to charge midday and usually again at night. This is with using the phone only to text and make calls. I have also noticed that my screen will brighten randomly no matter that I have set the brightness lower.

Once again I'd like to call out Verizon management and customer care.  YOU HAVE A MANY DISSATISFIED CUSTOMERS who are requesting the option to choose the operating system that we use on our personal mobile devices.

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

Nope.  The manufacturer pushes the updates out.  Kit Kat is developed and goes from Google to the phone manufacturer who works with the carrier to make sure carrier specific apps and customization are included and work correctly > any many changes/problems go back to Google for review> then back to manufacturer to push out according to the Carrier's plan.   Google may develop it, but the manufacturer and the carrier all have a say in the roll out of the new OS. 

cwk-az

I got the notice about the OS update this morning and delayed it for 12 hours.  Phone tells me to be sure I'm plugged in and have a good data connection.  But wait, 4 hours later, I'm on my way home and the phone vibrates.  It's updating all by itself.  Without being plugged in.  And presumably using my 4G data, which I'm already a third of the way through for the month since losing my "grandfathered" unlimited data plan.  I tried turning it off, but the progress bar just kept marching as I rode down the highway in my carpool with no WiFi in sight. 

I'm less concerned about other cosmetics, although the texting screen contrast is, as noted by others, marginal at best. I haven't used it enough to form any other opinions..

0 Likes
Scoobyshack
Enthusiast - Level 3

Add my name to the list - Factory Data Reset, no change for the good.  1) Battery life is crazy bad - lose 1 percent every 2-3 minutes.  Used to go 24 hours without needing a charge. 2) Battery overheats constantly 3) Phone shuts down (see battery overheats) 4) Widgets disappear from home screen 5) Signal strength on ALL radios are degraded - 1x where I got 3G, 3G where I got 4G, 1 bar where I got 4 bars, bluetooth disappears at 10 feet where it used to be 30 feet 6) touch screen unresponsive 7) minor but inuslt to injury annoyances like can't read battery metere because of green to white change, etc. etc.  Stop giving us platitudes, Verizon.  When will it be fixed?!?