Samsung galaxy S4 useless after update... blah! blah! blah!
urotherleft
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had my S4 (non-rooted sch-i545) going on 2 years with no problems. I've been delaying the recent OS update until two weeks ago when I gave in rolled the dice and updated ( after doing a back up and a factory reset on the old OS ). I cycled the batter from 100% to 0% and back. Everything seemed to be fine for about 2 days. Then the phone started to drop network connection and would not re-establish a connection without restarting, and the battery would drain ridiculously fast, I would lose about 1% every 30 sec. plug in the charger still draining. ( no apps running, sitting at idle ) ; phone off, plugged in to charger ( tried several ) still draining. was showing charging icon but losing charge. I replaced the battery, same results. Rebooted the phone in safe mode, no change. I uninstalled every app I could, disabled all options connections and removed all widgets. no change. I performed a cache wipe, no change. I then performed a factory reset again...   The same problem persist but now the phone will not recognize the charger without restarting, it will not power off either, just restarts every time and most times in download mode by itself. If I take the battery out when I try to power down just after the indicator light goes off and it vibrates and before it vibrates to indicate that it's restarting which is all it does; It doesn't matter how long I leave the battery out for it will automatically start as soon a battery is installed. This gets very annoying when the battery is dying as all it wants to do is reboot. Now, sometimes I can catch it and if I wipe the cache partition and the power off by that option it will stay off, but charging is still very SLOW like 10% takes about 3 hours while off ( tried several chargers, and batteries ).

Any suggestions as to what to try to fix this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung galaxy S4 useless after update... blah! blah! blah!
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I noticed you said you did a factory reset. Did you go into settings>back up and restore and unselect app data back up and app restore prior to your factory reset? Did you factory reset before the update or after the update?

0 Likes
urotherleft
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not prior to the reset, I backed up and then reset, unselected restore apps, updated, reset after update then restored apps.

UPDATE: I tore the phone down this afternoon to replace the cracked glass and while I was at it I replaced the charging board and cables, which the phone now seems to charge properly. I also took it to Best Buy as was mentioned in a previous post and had the SAMSUNG rep. re-flash. He said that for some reason it was "showing a custom loader as well as the correct original at the same time and, the phone wouldn't accept one version of the flash but it would accept another." I originally had the 5.0.2 update and after the flash I now show 5.0.1 phone now seems to be operating as it should and no excessive battery drain. 8 hours to go from 60% to 0%. I'll give it some time and see how it goes.

0 Likes
SanRafaelDad
Enthusiast - Level 3

Where did you buy replacement glass that you used to replace your cracked screen?

0 Likes
urotherleft
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought it from seller: iworld2013 on ebay only $12 glass kit with loca glue / 3m adhesive too

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sad to hear that you broke your glass urotherleft! I appreciate all the troubleshooting you have done so far. At this point I would recommend getting a new device if it is still acting up on you. Since you replaced the glass on the phone the warranty is now voided. We can see if you can do a http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/videogallery/services-videos/certified-pre-owned-device... certified pre-owned device. Did you want me to look into those options for you?

AmberF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
urotherleft
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, it's been a couple days so far and I am glad to say no issues battery life has been great about 20 hrs between charges, network connection has been fine, charging as it should, I'm going to chalk it up to a couple unrelated issues in one big coincidence.

0 Likes