Re: Samsung Stratosphere turns off when keyboard is closed
architect26

I just pulled the battery, waited a minute or so, then re-installed the battery. The phone has been working fine since then, I am very careful about opening and closing the keyboard, I do it very gently, no more snapping it shut. All’s good with the phone now. Didn’t need to get a factory reset.

<Edited for privacy.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
atorngg

This thread is dead, but I have had this phone for about a year a figure I would throw in my 2 cents.

Via Google searches there are 2 major known issues with this phone/keyboard.

1) The keyboard when typing a text or similar activity, will start using the keys as shortcuts.  So hitting 'e' will send you to email.  Things like that.  Only 'fix' seems to be rebooting the phone.  Its not due to battery, or third party apps, it seems to have to do with the firmware in the phone.

2) This sliding the phone turning it off issue.  The Verizon rep was just giving you the standard word track for pretty much any problem, but it has nothing to do with software.  Essentially there is a power connection within the phone, that when impacted, will cause the phone to turn off.  I have tested extensively on my phone, and if I slide the slider with a certain force, it turns offs.  I can slide the phone slowly, and it will never shut off.  But the instant I forget, and just snap slide it, it will shut off.

Issue number 1 only happens about once a week of frequent use, and is fixed with a restart, and issue number 2 is easily avoided.

True niether should be issues, if phone manufacturers cared about making a phone that would last more than a year or two if you are lucky.

0 Likes
burdened

We need to start a movement to recall all of the Samsung Stratosphere.. I just had the same problem.. had the phone replaced 2 weeks ago!! My warranty runs out in 3 weeks!! I'm on my third Stratosphere!! The new one { certified refurbished} would not let me text today I spent 1 hour with Verizon on the phone and '''basically there's is nothing we can do" iT SEEMS EVERYONE IS HAVING LOTS OF ISSUES WITH THE STRATOSPHERE!! Good Luck!!

0 Likes
jamathis79

I have the same issue with mine.  I'm on the third one.  It's not just when I close the keyboard.  I can have it in my pocket and walk from my car and into work and it will shut off.  It seems any type of vibration makes it shut off.  I like the form factor of the phone and prefer one with a keyboard, does anyone know if the Stratosphere II has these issues?  I would hope Samsung addressed them in it.

0 Likes
dartsgarage

After three Stratospheres that had the same issue they sent me a Motorola Droid 4.   No probems.   Excellent phone.

0 Likes
DennislovesMichelle

I have the same phone (2nd one) and I am having the same problem with the phone shutting off when I close the keyboard. I understand the "close phone gently" solution probably work to keep the problem from happening,but that is really difficult to remember to do that every time. I think samsung has an issue that the are trying to avoid and not address.

0 Likes