Samsung Stratosphere Model: SCH-I405
Preynolds

Someone Please Help..

I recently received gave my old iphone to my grandson  to use only for pics, videos, and wi-fi to download and play games. The problem is this...

I did a factory reset and wiped everything from the old phone, thinking it would be a good idea to clean all the old data from the phone before I gave it to him to use, and I also removed the SIM card.

Now when I turn the phone on, it goes directly to Setup Wizard, I choose English, and press next, then it tells me a SIM card is needed to operate this phone. Please turn off the phone and insert your SIM card. I don't want the phone to be used for calls, I just want to fix it so my grandson can continue to use it for taking pics, videos, and connect to wi-fi.

I can't get past this screen and I am in deep doo-doo with my grandson since he already knows I promised the phone to him.

If I get a new SIM card will I need to activate the card or just insert it...and once I do that how do I set up the phone since there is no longer a phone number associated with this phone. I am completely at your mercy!!!

Sincerely,

Grandma in big Trouble

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Stratosphere Model: SCH-I405
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What happens when you press the home button or the back button in that screen? You should be able to exit the setup wizard without installing a SIM card in the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Preynolds

If I hit the back button on the Language Selection screen it does nothing...I can only select next, which takes me to the SIM initialization Failed screen and it does nothing if I select the Home button. If I select back it takes me back to the Language screen.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There isn't an option for wifi only? This example was from a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Screenshot_2013-01-01-00-03-20.png

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Preynolds

Nope...No wifi only option..Your screen shot is different than mine. My screen just says "A SIM card is needed to operate this phone. Please turn off your phone and insert your SIM card."

I don't mind buying a SIM card to insert if it's going to fix my problem...I just don't have a phone number to use to activate an account if it's going to ask me. I'm new to all this so any help would be appreciated. If I do buy a new SIM card can I insert it and not activate it or can I activate it without a phone number. I just want the phone for pics, WiFi, Apps, & games.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you temporarily move your current SIM card back to the device to activate it past the wizard?

0 Likes
Preynolds

That would be a good idea but I do not have the old SIM card anymore. I didn't think I would need it and it was old and out dated. I was just hoping I could buy a new one and still not have the phone activated for calls

0 Likes
reallybigdave

Google how to bypass the setup screen on the stratosphere. that should get you past the screen and ready to use.

0 Likes
Preynolds

GREAT..This worked and will run in Test Mode but when I shut my phone off and turn it back on I have go back in and dial into Test Mode again. How can I keep the phone from doing this?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Preynolds,

Help is here and we will save you from the troubles! I know your grandson must be excited to start using this phone and I’m glad you asked for help; we will get this taken care of. It is true, once you insert the SIM card, the phone will try to reactivate on the phone number it was previously on (yours), which may create problems for the line and new phone. Nonetheless, I’m happy to say we do have a work around. Please follow me, accept my follow request and send me a Private Message. I will assist to ensure you are good to go and no more worries about service.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes