Samsung Galaxy S5 Loses Signal After 10/19/2016 Update
linux4me

My phone was working fine up until after the 10/19/2016 update. After the update, I got the notice that I could activate HD calling in Advanced Calling, so I did. Everything seemed to work fine for a couple of days, and I had the usual two bars I have at home (no 4G), but within 12 hours, I had no signal at all. I tried restarting the phone, and I had two bars again. I'm not sure when the phone lost the signal, but I noticed the following day that I had no bars. I restarted the phone again, and I had two bars. The next day, no bars. I disabled HD calling, and restarted the phone. Two bars again. With HD calling disabled, I had a signal for over a week, and then I noticed today I had none. This time, I was in town where, normally, I would have five bars and a 4G signal.

Following the directions in Verizon's no-signal troubleshooting tool, I shut down the phone, took out the battery, took out the SIM card, reinserted it, put the battery back in, and powered it up. I really don't see how that would help any more than restarting the phone does. Two bars again. I don't have any hope that I won't lose the signal once more. It's an hour drive to the nearest Verizon store, and since restarting the phone reliably gets a signal again, it would be a tough issue to troubleshoot. Is there anything else I can try?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Loses Signal After 10/19/2016 Update
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks for your troubleshooting efforts, linux4me. We’re committed to improve your wireless experience while you are at home. Do you have WiFi at home?

If you do, please enable WiFi calling on your phone and test: Settings>Advanced Calling>Activate WiFi Calling>Accept terms & Conditions>Save your home address.

Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the Network mode setting on?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
linux4me

It's set to "global."

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That isn't the setting it should be on. Change it to the LTE/CDMA mode.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
linux4me

Thanks, Ann. I wonder how it got switched to "global"? I know I never changed it.

Okay, I changed it to LTE/CDMA, then switched it in-and-out of airplane mode to restart the network. It has two bars for the moment, and I was able to check my voice mail. I'll see how it does and post back.

0 Likes
josephe_vzw
Verizon Employee

Having reliable service is always a must linux4me. Global is the default setting on phones. LTE/CDMA will work while you are inside the US just as well as Global would. I understand that this issue started to happen after the latest software update and you enabled HD Calling. Let's get your signal back to greatness. Was there any other changes? Any other Verizon users with the same issue in the area? Walk me through the steps you took to disable HD Calling.

JosephE_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
linux4me

Thanks Josephe. I do still  have a signal this morning, though it's weaker (one bar) when I have the network mode set to LTE/CDMA. I switched it back to "global" and went in and out of airplane mode to reconnect. That got me back to two bars, which is typical while I'm at home.

There were no other changes other than some updates to the default apps. I actually haven't added any apps that run all the time. The only apps I've added are a music player and a two FTP servers, which are not running. I don't know if there are any other Verizon users with the same issue in my area. My zip is 97011. When I googled "samsung galaxy s5 losing signal" I found quite a few other users of this particular phone report the issue I am experiencing, but unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet.

To disable HD calling, I went Settings -> Advanced Calling -> Advanced Calling and switched to "off".

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks for your troubleshooting efforts, linux4me. We’re committed to improve your wireless experience while you are at home. Do you have WiFi at home?

If you do, please enable WiFi calling on your phone and test: Settings>Advanced Calling>Activate WiFi Calling>Accept terms & Conditions>Save your home address.

Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes
linux4me

Wi-fi calling works, but the call quality isn't as good as cellular, and I'm limited to staying in range of my wireless router, which isn't acceptable. I need my cell service to work. On the positive side, I have found that when my phone loses the signal, I don't have to completely reboot it. I can toggle in-and-out of airplane mode and it will re-establish the signal for a while before losing it again.

The evening of the 15th, I tried deleting the contents of the cache partition, and that didn't help either. I still lost signal after a few hours, but got it back by toggling in-and-out of airplane mode.

0 Likes
linux4me

I made it until today, with Advanced Calling disabled, but the phone lost the signal again. I was able to get it back by toggling in-and-out of Airplane Mode, as usual. This time, I'm trying with Advanced Calling enabled. It really seems like a software issue, but if it is, I can't imagine why there aren't more people complaining...

0 Likes