Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
danieljcruz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problems but was able to resolve by deleting all my group texts and you should start getting them again but won't get what you missed.  The other problems with the phone seem to be unfixable though

0 Likes
sbhnet
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep. A couple of times.

0 Likes
thumperfig
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lollipop made me wish I never switched from virgin mobile. They always waited till the update was fully stable before offering it. Only switched to get better coverage. Who cares if you have a signal if your phone is dead or crashed?

browneyedgurl
Enthusiast - Level 1

Press and hold Volume Up, Power and Home keys simultaneously. I did that and my phone reset itself......Grrrr!

What the heck!?!?!  This latest update is a nightmare!!!

Martyjean
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to my local Verizon store and they sent me a new phone with KitKat on it. I postpone the update every day, but at least I have a phone that works properly now. Glad to have my S5 working normal again.

Shmoey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Factory reset did NOT fix my S5 Galaxy. After consulting VZW techs 3X, I was finally granted a new Galaxy replacement with 4.4.4 KitKat software on it. As long as I don't update to Lollipop, the cellphone works like a dream! Until they release a fix for the 5.0 software, I will NOT be chancing any updates on THIS phone. If any more problems arise from the faulty software, I will be seeking a new iPhone 6 to replace this as well. I just upgraded 3 months ago so I will NOT be stuck with a faulty phone for the next 15 months...

Good luck!

Personal information removed as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Lolli-poop
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got off the phone with Verizon support, and she says that they are unaware of any problems with the battery for heat issues. I started busting up laughing asking if they ever read the community forums. She assured me that it was regular practice for all staff to read the community forums to know what's going on. I am so frustrated with Verizon pointing fingers at Samsung, Samsung pointing fingers at Verizon and Google, and no one taking responsibility for something that obviously doesn't work! she said I could upgrade and get a new phone. what the hell is wrong with Verizon? the company that used to pride itself on customer service is now the king of blame. I have no answer to your question... It seems like I'm searching for the Holy Grail.

0 Likes
Lolli-poop
Enthusiast - Level 1

dDearest customer service rep, the only solution Verizon is offering as far as troubleshooting is a full system reset. why do I have to lose my text history, including photos in my text, for a problem that Verizon, Samsung, and Google have caused? why not offer something better than the canned, scripted answers that you all seem to offer? let us go back to KitKat or let us go...

JodySG
Enthusiast - Level 1

For what it's worth, I've had some of the problems above and found some things not yet mentioned in this thread that helped with my battery drain.

I'm a conservative user..I use the phone mostly to read email or text when it comes up, use the telephone occasionally, look at the weather or my calendar. I live in the SF Bay Area on the Peninsula where 4G service is sometimes not real strong, number of bars in my house is also pretty low (two bars, sometimes less). Recently I've started using Android Wear with an LG watch. With KitKat 4.4.4 generally I would take my phone off charge in the morning and at the end of the day it would be at 75%, sometimes 80% battery left. I have virtually no third-party apps that are running, Amazon ones are the only that I see in general.

In KitKat I had already disabled 'Smart Network Switch' when I noticed that the phone seemed to be constantly disconnecting/connecting to Wi-Fi and the battery was draining.

With Lollipop installed, I first noticed that I was at 50% to 60% battery left at the end of the day, and in the first few days Android Wear twice got into a state where it couldn't connect to the phone (had to reboot the phone). So my first effort was to stop using the watch and I turned off bluetooth. I then wiped the partition cache (I never did a factory reset). Over time I tried turning off Wi-Fi, set different modes and finally turned off location services. I suspect that the cache partition wipe did some good, but none of the above got me back to where I had been before. \\

It's worth noting that two nights in a row I left my phone off charger because I had charged in the middle of the day and the battery left was about 80%. Both mornings that battery left in the morning was about 30%! I rebooted the phone after this and haven't seen it since.

I next changed my mobile network mode. It had been set to 'Global', I changed it to 'CDMA/LTE'. This made quite a large difference, my battery now had 80% to 85% left at the end of the day. I note that I left battery off charger at night a couple of times and didn't see the severe battery drain that I had before (see above).

I then left Wi-Fi on all the time, no significant degradation. I then re-enabled bluetooth, and after having successfully silenced Android Wear (there is a definite bug in that app..even thought I'd uninstalled it, as soon as I enabled Bluetooth, Android Wear kept trying to connect to my watch, which I silenced by manually disconnecting the watch via the Android Wear GUI..but I've had to do that again about 4 days later) the battery drain stayed about the same. I then re-enabled 'power-savings' location services mode, which did cause extra battery use, now I'm about 70% to 75% at the end of the day.

One thing I noticed was that when my phone was reporting that it was connected via 3G, the battery drain was significantly greater (as reported by the standard battery monitor). This seems to happen to me at home sometimes, I suspect it is trying to get back to 4G periodically and the attempt is costing more in energy than it used to. Either that or the cellular driver in Lollipop is somehow not able to connect to 4G as well as KitKat did.

I do notice the heart rate monitor red light coming on whenever the screen is on and the back of the phone is blocked (whether Google Fit is installed or not). Not desirable but not a problem for me as I always put the phone to sleep when I put it away or down.

I have yet to reconnect my watch to see if Android Wear behaves properly now after wiping the cache partition. Looks like Google really needs to fix Android Wear, as far as I can tell right now the only way to uninstall it completely (aside from rooting the phone and doing something at root level) is to do a factory reset.

My other big complaint is that the 'auto' setting for screen brightness doesn't work well anymore, outside during the day the screen is very dim and impossible to see, wiping the cache partition didn't seem to help that.

sbhnet
Enthusiast - Level 3

The store said I had to do another Factory Data Reset so they could mark it in my account; then if I still have problems they'll send me a new one.  NOW I just got a notice that there's an update that my phone wants me to install but I can't figure out if it's 5.1 or not.  I'm conflicted.. do I try it or not?  Still trying to find out what the update is.

0 Likes