Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
mwsilvers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Its not not funny or sad, and it's not very surprising to me that Note 4 owners would want to upgrade since most people are not having the issues described in this forum. Regardless of what some here seem to think, those who are suffering through this upgrade are the exceptions, not the norm.    .

0 Likes
slasher016
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having similar problems, only since the lollipop update.  Phone is always hot.  Battery draining like crazy.  Auto-brightness adjustment is completely useless and is always too dark to read (this was perfect before.)  Screen lags and applications lag.  I reset the cache as well.  This was just a downright horrible implementation of lollipop.  Reviews across the board say this is a good update but Verizon did something to it to royally screw it up.

0 Likes
Gemini63
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't believe that Verizon customer service has still not addressed/answered the original post in this thread.

It's clear that this a problem with the new OS and particularly with the Galaxy S5. While neither the OS or the phone is under Verizon's control, Verizon, as the biggest wireless carrier in the country, has an obligation to its customers to address this issue and provide a fix (not a workaround where users have to clear caches or uninstall apps), or to reach out to Google so they can provide the fix to their horrible new OS. I wish I had read these forums before blindly installing this new OS. I don't want to do this whole cache-clearing thing (I'm not one of those people who messes with the internal workings of my phone), but I guess I'll have to. The alternative is to take it to a VZ wireless store and have them do it, since clearly VZ Wireless corporate couldn't care less about the fact that hundreds of customers are posting about the issues (all the same issues, and NOT because our water-resistant phones got wet - seriously VZ??? I hope you fired *that* genius).

Time to tweet I think... Maybe T-Mobile will answer and offer to cut our bills in half.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Slasher016,

Sorry to see that you are having similar problems since the software update! Short battery life is typical after a OS update as the applications become optimized for the new system. The phone should return to normal after 3 to 4 days. If you are still experiencing this trouble after that timeframe we want to do more.

If the phone is still unusually hot let's start with disconnecting it from the charger, powering it off and removing the battery for long enough for it to be cool  http://vz.to/1HPDf7Z , say 20 minutes or so. Then replace the battery & back and wipe the cache partition http://vz.to/1HPDm3i . Once the cache partition is wiped and the phone rebooted, use Samsung KIES to ensure the latest firmware is properly installed http://bit.ly/10MzqP9 . If New Firmware is available, install the firmware.

Next, go to the Play Store app on the phone and touch the menu button on the top left (3 lines) and select My Apps. Make sure any app updates that are available are installed. Then go to Settings> Power Saving> Power saving mode> (this should be on) and touch Restrict performance. Remove the checkmark for screen output so you can manually adjust it again. Finally, connect to charger and power the device off. Once the device is charged to 100% power it on and use it as you normally would. Let us know if it has returned to normal operation.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

andi343

I had to buy the Mophie

0 Likes
JustDontScrewUp
Enthusiast - Level 2

For those of us who have not taken the plunge and are being annoyed by those upgrade messages, VERIZON, please tell us how to disable those annoying pop-ups permanently?

I DO NOT WANT lollipop!

Please help.

live2ride090

I have a Samsung S5. I also did this update that definitely was not ready for release yet. All the past updates I have done have been good but this lollipop is crap! WiFi issues seem to be a big thing with it, like everyone else I am having the same issues. I also, think they never tested this with people that own a Samsung phone and a Samsung smart TV. Before the update I could share my music, videos, photos, etc.. to my TV via the little share button on the music player and it would go straight to my TV player and play music. Also, this worked with YouTube. This feature no longer works, beyond me why you would take this feature away. My phone never finds my TV now. I got the screen mirroring to work once, now that no longer works, plus this way sucks to share anything. I got it to work another time using WiFi direct which I never had to do before but now this no longer works. I read up on the update and there was no mention of taking features away, kind of pointless update to release with so many bugs. I would really like to downgrade back to the version I had before but not sure how I can do this.

I have tried the cache whipe - still does not work

I have factory reset, which sucks but I tried it anyway hoping it would work - no on this as well.

Any help on how i can get my phone back to the way it was would be great!

Thank you,

0 Likes
bevan_jason
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same BIG issues seen here as others are reporting with the 5.0 lollipop update:

-Battery drain.

-Overheating.

-WiFi issues.

-Sluggish/lagging response times to any action.

-Screen freezing.

-Text messaging doesn't respond as normal either it seems to take a while to send and receive etc.

Other BIG issue:

-When the ringer is put on silent it silences the alarms as well. This was never as such before. I want to sleep uninterrupted not sleep thru my alarms uninterrupted.

Smaller issues noticed (maybe even more of gripes really) are:

-Verizon logo covers the notifications area (the large screen notifications are ridiculous an unneeded, should be able to choose between the 2). And even on that subject of notifications why does the notification have to tell you "Content Hidden"..that seems like an unnecessary thing considering I am the one that hid them in the settings in the first place.

-The volume button's settings menu has been changed, the options for "Notification" and "System" has been removed and buried in the settings menu. There are times you want calls loud and texts quiet and vice versa, but not all the time.

These issues need corrected ASAP. I pay far too much money every month to be stuck with a useless piece of equipment.

EDIT:

I have done a cache wipe and I see a very minor difference but I am still having all of the issues.

slasher016
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've done everything on the list.  Battery life is a little better but still fairly terrible.  The battery manager says all the battery life is getting drained by Verizon's Caller Name ID application (which I don't even use -- never even started the trial.)  So I forced stopped it, and disabled it.  Not sure it'll actually stay disabled but we'll see on that.  The heat issue is not at all related to the battery.  It happens even when I haven't plugged into the charger for several hours.  It seems to happen on graphic intensive apps, and then it stays warm for several hours after use.  Not several minutes, several hours.  Something in the graphic drivers is jacked up, and making the GPU work way too hard (or CPU - forget if they're integrated in this phone.)  I cleared the cache, checked my firmware and did the battery removal.  Screen brightness is still a factor, I just turn off the auto-dimming when I get come for the day (crappy solution - works fine at work since it's bright all the time.)  Time for an update Verizon, 30 pages of complaints should be enough to get the guys working on it...

0 Likes
slasher016
Enthusiast - Level 2

On another note, anyone noticed how much longer it takes to charge the phone now?  I used to be able to go from 20% to 80% in about an hour.  Now it's taking 2-3 hours to do the same amount of charging.  Another issue to add to the list.

0 Likes