Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Problems
Bonske
Enthusiast - Level 2

My heart rate light also is always coming on glowing red...I fixed the wifi problem by forgetting the network and then finding it and putting security code back in...it now doesnt always keep searching and conecting and disconnecting...phone does still randomly go into cool down mode...most of all i am most concerned about the red light glowing..any one else have any luck with anything?

0 Likes
tampated1

I wish I could get rid of the update my phone is now a brick. its super slow in every way, I have a brand new battery and it drains out in a few hours. I have to close everything to try make it through the work day. it freezes or just does what ever it wants. I have never been so on happy with my phone, something needs to be done soon. its now a waste of money.

0 Likes
AS123

After the Lollipop 5.0 update, the carrier name has moved to the notification bar. Now i have to enable notifications on the lock screen to see if anyone has called or text messaged. This makes the screen cluttered and takes longer to check for a single notification if there are more than a couple app notifications.

0 Likes
LollipopBad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I backed up the phone and did a factory data reset (FDR).  Seems to be running much better now in all regards.  Didn't take too long to restore to my preferred setup, however, didn't know you could backup NovaLauncher (home screen), which would really have quickened the restore.

If VZ and Android really wanted to improve customer sat to the Apple level, the upgrade would be seamless.  I suppose it would mean the upgrade would back up the phone, wipe it with FDR, and then completely restore it (but only automatically restoring the apps that work with Lollipop).

0 Likes
fzipit
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found a setting under WiFi, Advanced called Smart Network Switch.  This was KILLING my battery after the update.  It would constantly run my device between cell/wifi.  Since turning this off and removing the Verizon Applications battery life is getting back to normal.

droot

The latest update to the S5 was installed yesterday and today my battery is degraded by 40% (at least). I installed OTA 5.0 last week without issue now Verizon pushed another update that trashed the phone.

Issues so far include:

-Pedometer is way off now, when it works

-Floating keyboard is tiny and makes texting/email horrible by covering what you see or type

-The phone heats up very fast

-Battery life is shot - last week it as 36 hours or more, today I'll be lucky to get home from work!  I have not

even made a call today and its down to 52%

-Cant append ",,pin number#" to voicemail hotkey

Clearing cache turning off the network switching is not effective this is a broken OS.

0 Likes
afcc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Let me see if this makes any sense. I did the update about 1 week ago. I had all of the terrible problems I mentioned in my earlier post - horrible battery life, overheating, sluggish response,etc.

I tried all the suggestions about safe mode and clearing cache etc, etc. The only one I didn't do was a factory reset, although I've done numerous re-starts and battery pulls (even threw the battery across the room in disgust - didn't help).

So now, all of a sudden, after a week or so, no more overheating and the battery is performing like a champ! Here is a screen shot after 7 hours of heavy use today - still at 70%! Previously, it would have been drained within 3-4 hours.

Screenshot_2015-02-13-15-11-25.png

So I'm thinking there must have been tons of things happening in the background under the hood right after the upgrade, of which I have no idea, and now things are as they should be. I will see if this lasts, but maybe there is hope for all of you who are as frustrated as I was that with time things will get better. Now if I could only find a way to disable the blinding light "battery full" pop-up notification while charging so I could use my phone as a bedside clock like I used to before the upgrade. 

0 Likes
S5Owner
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like many of you I am having problems with battery life, blue tooth issues, overheating and the associated cooling mode, etc.  I called Verizon today and was read "verbatim" from a bulletin Samsung gave to Verizon.  To sum it up, Samsung said they had done extensive testing on phones that were upgraded and found the delta on battery life post update was negligible.  They added that it could take a few days for the phone to optimize its performance after the update and that it is not responsible for ensuring that app owners do the necessary updates to ensure blah blah blah.  As is obvious by the countless messages from frustrated users, they did not do nearly enough testing. So, what I am doing?  The Verizon rep offered to replace my S5 because she felt that mine must be defective.  I don't agree with her as it was working just fine prior to the Lollipop update however I am beyond frustrated with my phone in its current state so I took her up on the offer.  I will reply once I get my new phone and let people know if it solves my problems.

Walt54
Enthusiast - Level 2

I started noticing the issue a couple nights ago.  Phone seemed warm and yesterday and today it is sucking the life out of my battery.  Usually at days end I am about 50% of battery life.  Last night by 6:30 I was at 4%.  What is going on.  I did the Lolipop upgrade a week ago, but problems just started.

0 Likes
ZambrownO
Enthusiast - Level 1

Lollipop has ruined my S5...Had no problems, no damage....Got the upgrade and now my battery life is terrible....My WiFi is always trying to reconnect...There is always a ton of lag....I had to uninstall a ton of programs just to make it work...And the craziest part - its always overheating now!!