Samsung Galaxy S4 lollipop update error
blendingjake
Enthusiast - Level 1

I went to update my S4 to lollipop today and the first update installed just fine, but the second one, upon beginning the installation process after rebooting says there is an error and upon booting up says that no changes could be made. Is it a bad update? Or a phone based error?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 lollipop update error
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
blendingjake, updating software on the phone should be an easy task with enhancements that will help improve the experience with your device. I am concerned to hear that was not the case with your phone as that second update didn't appear to install; but we will cover some troubleshooting for you. We have a software repair tool that helps in instances when the software doesn't install properly. It can be found here: http://vz.to/1F7EAs2 . Once you have the Assistant installed, use the following link to assist with the software update/upgrade: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-80200/ .

Hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
blendingjake, updating software on the phone should be an easy task with enhancements that will help improve the experience with your device. I am concerned to hear that was not the case with your phone as that second update didn't appear to install; but we will cover some troubleshooting for you. We have a software repair tool that helps in instances when the software doesn't install properly. It can be found here: http://vz.to/1F7EAs2 . Once you have the Assistant installed, use the following link to assist with the software update/upgrade: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-80200/ .

Hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
delacruz0414
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had a worse problem.  After updating my s4 all of my google services are no longer working, many of the apps i had installed are now deleted, Samsung apps like music player work but do not do so properly.  This update has rendered my phone useless in most aspects of what i need it for (yes need because I use it for work).  I'm astounded as to how many things have gone wrong with it as soon as i updated.  This leaves me to believe that verizon either rolls out unfinished and broken products or just doesn't care about customers. 

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

At this point, if I were you, I'd try a low-level cache clear.

If that didn't work, I'd try to backup your personal content and perform an Factory Data Reset.

If that doesn't work, then I'd try using the Verizon Repair Assistant.

And then if that didn't work, I'd be contacting Samsung for a replacement device.

The problem here in part is no one is telling end users, they are most likely going to succeed if they back up their personal content, peform a Factory Data Reset, and then take the OTA update.

There are problems with the update itself, but, people get into a whole host of varying problems because there device isn't clean to begin with, and the update process is getting hung up on certain things.

delacruz0414
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had NO problems with my phone before update and always kept the cache clean and used Verizon's phone cleaner app for my phone.  I find it sad that if customers have to go through all the trouble of going through the steps your giving me to get my phone to work when it WAS fine before, common sense tells me that its not my phone, it's not that my phone isn't CLEAN, it's the update.  I guess i'll try doing a factory reset even though that is exactly what i was trying to avoid.  Thanks for nothing.

>> Personal information and e-mail reply headers removed by Verizon Moderator to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

delacruz.

This is in general a peer-to-peer forum, and I'm merely trying to help you as an end-user like yourself... I'm cutting to the chase. I'm giving you the truth as others have experienced it. I'm also giving you options... first trying stuff that's simple, and working your way to the more complex to bring your device back to a state it is usable.

Don't confuse a low-level cache clear with the ones you've been doing. They are not the same.

And when I was referring to a "clean" phone, I should have written, an almost unused, close to factory state device. A Factory Data Reset wipes memory, and if you think about it, most of the testing they do of these updates are against devices that don't have much on them. Once you install stuff and uninstall stuff, they are no longer "clean" in the sense that their storage has been manipulated.

I'm really sorry your device isn't working properly post update. Yes the update manipulated your phone. However, there were things you could have done prior to the OTA that would have increased your chances of success. Unfortunately, the carrier, Google, the OEM... none of them tell you that a Factory Data Reset prior to taking the OTA is a requirement. Because, well, technically, it is not for the entire population. Unfortunately, you and the way you've used your device probably put you into a portion of the population that results in problems. You are not alone.

I was sincerely trying to help you. Apologies you found my post of no value.

delacruz0414
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's frustrating to have to do a factory reset on my phone and have to download everything all over again. I understand you are trying to help and I'm sorry if I was rude. Everyone I know that was pretty much forced to download the new update had numerous problems on their phone as well so it didn't seem to me to be an isolated incident. It is working well now after a factory reset but as I said, it's frustrating to have to input all my accounts into the phone again. I do thank you for your help and sorry for being rude.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Its OK, and your apology accepted. KUDOS for doing the hard work and pushing through. Consider yourself a veteran of Android now. Glad your device is working.

Yes, a portion of the population will not experience a problem updating. A portion will and will only get back a working device if they perform an FDR. A portion will do an FDR but it may not help.

Android is not iOS, that's for sure.

0 Likes
blendingjake
Enthusiast - Level 1

Worked perfectly, thanks a lot!

0 Likes
ckdgirl

Me too - had no clue of protocols to do backup etc. before download of new S4 Lollipop.  My calendar is gone! No clue what else is amiss, but reading this forum I guess I will find out. Clueless in Seattle.

0 Likes