Samsung Continuum Official upgrade?
prydek

I was wondering if anyone knows when Android 2.2, aka Froyo, will be released for the Samsung Continuum?

I've read that this is the only phone Verizon has that doesn't have android 2.2 or higher, which is very frustrating since they told me when i bought it in January that Froyo would be coming out that month for it. That was not the case, which is false advertising.

I know there is an unofficial version, and I know Samsung released the update for the Continuum to Verizon but when will they distribute it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Continuum Official upgrade?
Wildman
Legend

Since Samsung never had a good history of releasing updates, on schedule or not.... I really wont blame Verizon for the hold up all together...

0 Likes
JayPeriod
I do blame Verizon. The update has been out there "unofficially" for over two months now. All we are getting are canned responses from Verizon that basically say, "Shut up," when you read between the lines. Verizon is trying to sell off their remaining stock on this phone so they can officially be done with it. I wouldn't hold my breath, prydek. There is no official update coming from Verizon. I would think the best we can hope for would be if Samsung would release it to keep from making people so mad that they would never buy from them again. I also smell a possible lawsuit for advertising fraud. Verizon sold car and home docks for the Continuum that require 2.2 to fully function. That should be enough to constitute full faith that an update would be coming. I usually don't get in on class actions, but that's one I might just jump on. We were lied to, and continue to be lied to. Verizon should be held accountable. They are placing profits over customer satisfaction.
0 Likes
maryl
Contributor - Level 1

I do think it sucks for VZW not to have updated the Continuum. It took them forever to update the Fascinate, and when they did update the phone a number of customers had problems with their phones. Maybe that is why they are afraid to update the phone because of all the problems the Fascinate had.

0 Likes
Triplescrew
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd rather have problems with 2.2 than to continue to have the problems I'm having with 2.1.

0 Likes
JayPeriod
Here's a kicker; it is my understanding the Ice Cream Sandwich is coming out tomorrow. That will officially put this phone THREE updates behind. THREE. With more and more apps upgrading to require 2.2 minimum, I suspect they will soon require 2.3 or the new 4.0. Before long, this phone won't even make a good paperweight. Bet they won't remove the data requirement, though, will they. Nope, dollars are all they care about, not customer satisfaction.
0 Likes
Alchemicangel25

I hate that even the apps that I DO have on my phone are now required 2.2 minimum. I've already talked to the Samsung marketing department and they HAVE released the 2.2 for the continuum, but it's VERIZON that won't release it, that's why the XDA devs have  the 2.2 now. It's still listed as Samsung, and since this phone is Verizon, it's not considered "official"

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

JayPeriod wrote:
Here's a kicker; it is my understanding the Ice Cream Sandwich is coming out tomorrow. That will officially put this phone THREE updates behind. THREE. With more and more apps upgrading to require 2.2 minimum, I suspect they will soon require 2.3 or the new 4.0. Before long, this phone won't even make a good paperweight. Bet they won't remove the data requirement, though, will they. Nope, dollars are all they care about, not customer satisfaction.
Nope...  ICS won't come out till December.  No manufacturer can do a thing without the SOURCE CODE.  Google won't release the SOURCE CODE until about a month AFTER their DEVELOPER device(Galaxy Nexus) has some face time.
0 Likes
Triplescrew
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alchemicangel25 wrote:

I hate that even the apps that I DO have on my phone are now required 2.2 minimum. I've already talked to the Samsung marketing department and they HAVE released the 2.2 for the continuum, but it's VERIZON that won't release it, that's why the XDA devs have  the 2.2 now. It's still listed as Samsung, and since this phone is Verizon, it's not considered "official"

That is....discouraging.

0 Likes
Alchemicangel25

Very discouraging when I've heard the same thing that everyone else on these forums have said - Verizon customer service rep at store - "The upgrade to 2.2 is coming soon. Buy the home dock and when you plug it in, and the upgrade is available, it'll pop up." Yeah, well the thing about the rep that sold me the phone is that he has the same phone and he's getting PO'd at the company too. Hah! Their own employees saying the same thing we are, BUT they can change their phones out any time they want with the employee discount, and now they don't have the "New every 2" or the "Early Bird" upgrade things anymore. And yes, I bought the insurance. And yes, my phone freezes up at least 3 times a day where I have to take out the battery and turn it back on. I'm totally doing my homework on my next phone purchase for sure this time. But now I can't do any of my online classes because it says "Minimum requirement for Android needed is 2.2" :womanmad:

0 Likes