Re: S5 Lollipop: Same problems everyone else is reporting
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MrMP,

We truly want you to be able to enjoy your device again. I am sorry to hear of the issues you are having. Does your phone only run slow and hot when in certain apps? When you go to Settings>Battery what is showing to have the highest battery usage? Have you attempted to Wipe the Cache partition as provided by centimentallady?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your response, LindseyT.

My phone is slow and hot whenever it is running on battery, regardless if I'm using it or not using it, regardless of what I'm using it for. Just sitting on the table, it's burning away. Web browsing, checking email, listening to podcasts, or any other use, it's burning away. Typically battery drain is about 30% per hour. If I plug it in and leave it plugged in, it cools down, but unplugging it immediately takes it back to running hot.

I have a battery app on my phone that keeps detailed statistics of charge, voltage, temperature, and screen state over time. (I can send you one month's worth of data in Excel format, if you want it.) Here's a quick summary of what I've observed:

• Since I upgraded to Lollipop on the evening of February 11, 2015, the average battery discharge per hour has been -25.4%. Whether the screen is on or off makes little difference (on, -27.0%/hour; off, -23.5%/hour).
  • On my walk this morning I had the screen off, phone in my pocket, running BeyondPod (listening to a podcast on Bluetooth headphones) and RunKeeper (GPS activity tracking). I unplugged the phone at 6:08 AM and put it back on the charger at 6:56 AM (48 minutes), during which time the battery went from 100% to 73% (-39.8%/hour). Before the Lollipop upgrade, under the exact same usage conditions (podcast, Bluetooth headphones, activity tracking), the typical discharge rate was -13.3%, one third of what it is now.
  • Before the upgrade, I could typically get 9 to 12 hours on a full battery. After the upgrade, I'm looking at 3 hours, tops.

I have done everything that has been suggested in the multiple threads on this subject: Cleared my partition cache, turned off the network scanning, checked for running processes (most of the Samsung and Verizon stock apps are disabled on my phone anyway). Nothing has made any difference.

If you have it in your power to escalate this issue, please do so!

0 Likes
MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. I've done all these things (as suggested in other threads), and it's made no difference at all.

0 Likes
MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

GalaxyClass wrote:

Verizon gets [the Lollipop update] from Google and then does a push download update.

Actually, that's not accurate.

Google created the base operating system, then handed it off to the manufacturers to tweak for their individual phones. (This is why Google devices, like my Nexus 10 tablet, got Lollipop first: There were no OEMs and carriers in between.)

Sumsung then created its own "flavor" of the OS, incorporating TouchWiz and other unique features. It then handed it off to the carriers.

The carriers then tweaked it further for their own network and handset needs, and pushed the update.

So there's a chain here of responsible people. Verizon is the place to start complaining.

0 Likes
MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to this comment from Samsung, the phone is "optimizing" after installing the new OS, and it should settle down in 2–3 days (!):

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1220926#1220926

0 Likes
webbster
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't believe Samsung on that. When you load Windows or any other os it doesn't take it a couple days to settle.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Verizon does not do any coding per say but they do work with both Google and the manufactures to build in what they want to incorporate into a given model. I 'm simply trying to say that the base Android OS does in fact as you stated come from Google.  Thank you,  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
twalltop
Enthusiast - Level 2

Had same problems as everyone else.  I did the clear cache routine and it partially fixed problem.  Only thing you can do is a factory reset and it should fix all problems. Make sure you back up everything it will be like getting a new phone. The best thing you can do is take phone to best buy samsung center and they will do a direct load upgrade from their computer. This Lollipop upgrade is designed for samsung S5 specifically. The over the air is a generic upgrade and is causing all the problems.

0 Likes
MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

twalltop wrote:

Only thing you can do is a factory reset and it should fix all problems. Make sure you back up everything it will be like getting a new phone.

That is not an acceptable solution. It will take me days to get my phone back to the setup it's in. For "power users" who spend a lot of time customizing their phones, it's not as easy as "just reset it."

If that's the solution to overheating and slow response times, then it should be stated up front before individuals choose to upgrade. If I had know a FDR was in my future, I would have stuck with KitKat.

0 Likes
twalltop
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry Mr. MP I am a user just like you and I was extremely frustrated also. All I can say is a factory reset fixed all my problems my phone works great now.  It took me more than 4 hrs to get things back the way they were.  If I had to do it again I would have made photo copies of all my screens and app listings.  If you don't want the hassle, go to the Samsung center at Best Buy and let them reload their version of Lollipop. It takes 30-40 min and no data loss.