Re: Problem with Samsung Galaxy Stellar Messaging
DavidEBoos

Thanks for the information, kbark.. FYI, while it happens mostly at home, it did happen once at my place of work. Also, if it was a coverage issue, shouldn't the phone handle this situation without killing both the data and voice connections. also, I'm not sure how to contact tech about testing this.

Just to summarize things, here's what's happening:

At random times (which seems can't be replicated on demand), seems like either during sleep mode or just as the phone is slide to unlock, both the data and voice connections became incapacitated, both the data icon and voice bars freeze, when calling the phone, it goes straight to voicemail, when SMS texting out, the swirling icon keeps going without any stop and no not-delivered warning as if it thinks the voice connection is okay and waiting for a reply, and the only way to fix this is to restart the phone.

Keep in mind this only happens when the mobile data is left on. When off (only voice connection is on), I have no problems. Side note, I did have other things happen involving the mobile data connection, like last week, when turning the mobile data on after being off for a day, the phone lost both connections for a bit and got a warning of please insert the SIM card.

I might try the hard reset and see what happens, if I still have this issue, I might have to go back to Verizon and see if there's anything they can do to exchange this phone with Samsung. There is no damage to the phone. Hopefully, I can do all this through Verizon.

Thanks again for the help.

0 Likes
DavidEBoos

Just did a hard reset. Hope this works.

0 Likes
DavidEBoos

BTW, if it doesn't, since it only happens when the mobile data is left on, I might live with the glitch and just turn on the mobile data when needed, especially if getting this looked at will be a pain.

As for the reset, I have everything set up before the reset except the apps that I downloaded and and upgrades to other apps are not downloaded. I figure test this out with my built-in related settings.

0 Likes
kbark
Contributor - Level 2

yes, best to test it out before you redownload the apps.  If its a glitch you can live with then as long as all other aspects of the phone are working I would probably just keep it.  But if it becomes more troublesome verizon can replace it if you are still under warranty.  I know you can also contact samsung and they will let you send it in for repair but you'll need to have a backup phone since you will be w/o a phone for a bit.  I hope the reset at least works!

0 Likes
DavidEBoos

Honestly, it is a glitch that is livable. The phone seems to work fine when just the voice connection is on and I have no issues with the WiFi connection. The one real issue happens when the mobile data is left on for a while. It could be that fringe coverage issue you mentioned, but still not 100% that's the issue.

Anyway, if this is the only glitch with the phone, it's livable, especially since the phone was free and I only signed up for the 300k data plan. I only planned to use the data when needed. The only pain about this is that I have to manually turn on the mobile data to send MMS messages (don't need it for SMS messages).

Again, thanks for the info and I hope this hard reset cleared the glitch. If anything else comes up that's really a problem, I will go back to get this checked out. There suppose to be a year warranty on this, which means I'm still covered until mid-October.

0 Likes
DavidEBoos

Quick update: It's been over a week since the hard reset and so far so good. These was a minor thing with the data connection where the connection reset while I was sending an MMS message, but it came back and I was in a building with a weak voice connection.

Now, this past Friday night, it seems like my phone's system got an upgrade (from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2). Hopefully, whatever was causing the original glitch didn't come back with this upgrade (I doubt it did). 🙂

0 Likes
DavidEBoos

It has been 4 weeks since the hard reset (3 since the OS update) and so far not problems with the data and voice connections. I haven't downloaded any of the apps I had before (except one that I downloaded after the issue started in which I delete soon after) and I'm not sure if I will since I don't have the need for any of them yet, but if I do download any and the issue comes back (or if this come back anyway), I'll let you know.

Thanks again for all of your help.

0 Likes
DavidEBoos

Quick side note: This time around, I left the mobile data on instead of turning it off of significant periods of time. At the beginning, I was worried of going over with my data allowance or the battery would drain significantly if left on, but neither has occurred. So, I might as well leave it on (unless I need to put in in airplane mode).

0 Likes
sephage

I've had a similar issue with this phone.

At first, the phone would stop sending/receiving pone calls, mobile data, and messaging after receiving an MMS message (whether the MMS message had a picture/media or not). I returned that phone and got a replacement (new).

The second phone has a similar issue, though the symptoms aren't as bad the first phone. With the replacement, the phone will stop sending/receiving text messages after an incoming MMS message makes it go awry (data and phone are unaffected).

To date, we have tried safe mode, uninstalling apps, and a reset. No luck - the issue will eventually reappear, though it's difficult to reproduce on demand. In all cases, a phone shut down and restart fixes the problem.

I'm now awaiting a refurbished phone and new SIM card, and plan on sending the 2nd phone back and destroying the first SIM. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I think we could safely assume that either the firmware or android OS or the hardware are just poorly done (or some combination of the three). It just seems so odd that they got texting - a central feature for cell phones for several years - wrong on this device...

0 Likes
sephage

An update:

Received refurbished phone & brand new SIM card, and after having some issues with reactivation that were handled by Verizon, we were able to duplicate the issue of outgoing text messages hanging after receiving and MMS message without any apps being installed aside from stock apps.

This is also after update to Jellybean OS.

Verizon is escalating to Samsung.as we can find nothing wrong with the phone, SIM, my accounts, apps, etc. We have seemed to have found a potential work-around, however. Since the messaging app is one of the only things that can intercept both phone / text antennae and data antennae use, we replaced the stock messaging app with Handcent (free in Google Play store). So far, this is working and we've not been able to reproduce the issue with Handcent...

0 Likes