Poor Battery Life on V20 after Oreo Update
RONALDH1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Updated to Android 8.0 (Oreo) on my LG V20 this past Monday, after patiently waiting for Verizon to roll it out.  Although almost everything seems to be working good, including what appears to be a decent performance boost, I would have to say that I'm sorely disappointed in the effect on battery life.  On Nougat, I could go almost all day with only ~ 5% battery reduction...maybe 10 - 20 percent with some moderate usage.  Now I get the 10 - 20 percent with the phone only in sleep mode most of the day.

I tried putting it in battery saver mode, but that doesn't seem to help.  I just tried to clear the cache data and will see what this does.

I know it's still a bit early, but does anyone have any useful guidance to improve this, or is this just as I've read...another shortcoming of Android 8.0 that was "maybe" resolved in 8.1?  And, if this is the case, is Verizon planning to release 8.1 anytime soon, or do we have to wait another eternity for Android 9 to be released for the V20.  Apparently, it really wasn't much of a flagship phone, if this is what we get.

Note to Verizon - I know you think this is really a Google or LG issue, but you cannot complete divorce yourselves from responsibility either.  You didn't seem to have any problems taking my ~$600 when I bought the phone, so show some true service and help get these issues resolved.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Poor Battery Life on V20 after Oreo Update
TheDark_Knight
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ronald. I was having similar issues with the update. I cleared cache hoping it would solve the battery drain issue but it did not. I gave it 3 days to hopefully get better but it didn't. I know with passed experience the only way to fix this issue was to factory reset the phone and then reinstall all the apps. I typically hate doing this because I have to set up the phone again which can take many hours. Fortunately LG has a backup feature that allows you to backup your entire phone and restore it after a factor reset. I did this and now my LG V20 is running a lot smother and the battery life is back to what it used to be  Hope that helps.

RONALDH1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks DK...I was afraid I was pretty much headed in that direction.  Just as you experienced, the cache clearing did not help, so I'll give your suggestion a try and see how that goes.

Will update later.

0 Likes
RONALDH1
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK, it's been 3 days since I did a factory reset, and for the most part there is very little improvement in battery drain, or at least it is not as it was before the upgrade.

If anyone has any other thoughts that might help, please feel free to post.

0 Likes