Re: Please unlock my FM Radio chip
Tidbits
Legend

Due to block C Verizon phones have to support spectrum that other carriers do not. For example. Look at Sprint spectrum support for Galaxy S6 and then look at Verizon. The Sprint version will only work for Sprint or NVMO CDMA carriers only while the Verizon S6 will work on all US carriers and most of them will also get 3G/4G/LTE. Verizon has to comply to these rules if they want to keep the 700C(band 13) spectrum.

I am going to throw simple numbers in the air. It's not really that simple.

So Sprint supports 6 spectrums and FM radio and say it cost $1 each with FCC testing. So that's $7 Sprint has paid.

Now Verizon supports 17 spectrums and no FM radio. That's $17 right there. Now manufacturers charge for other features whether software or hardware on top of that. Verizon will add and subtract to get within $5 of their competitors. Verizon tried at one point to leave everything back about 3 years ago. The price difference was $50. Verizon got branded as a company in it for the money and it shouldn't cost more than XYZ company and sales for that device was lower their the other 3 carriers. Since then Verizon has always compromised. FCC deems no carrier can remove standard features. So if the manufacturer made FM radio a standard feature(they don't charge for this) then Verizon can't remove it. If it is a buyable option then it doesn't violate regulations.

Tidbits
Legend

Of course manufacturers can do what Google, Motorola and Apple did (note these devices don't support FM), and make their devices multibands on their own and sell them on their own if they want what they want. Verizon has to comply and allow these devices on their network because of block C rules.

KreggFoote
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am another loyal Verizon customer and I am angry about the fact that my new Motorola Droid Turbo does not allow fm reception. My old phone could handle it just fine but I am under the impression that Verizon wants us to use our data allowance to listen to something that should be free.

mama23dogs
Legend

IT is more complicated than that.  Please read the thread.  

Your last phone was not with Verizon or ATT an neither support FM radio in their devices.  It's a trade off.  You can get cell reception for calls, Internet etc.  or fringe benefits like radio.  Most of us buy smartphones for cellular service.  I have a hand crank FM radio for emergencies only.