Re: Notification Mix Up (Update/Apps)
rocky281

Correct, the factory reset is worthless because it dosen't fix anything, but erases all our personal settings and downloads. Now I also found out my LED notification light won't work properley either for any notifications.. Let me guess that Verizon's answer will be factory reset. I'm tired of that being their only answer here and at the stores. Hopefully everyone will soon be like me and start looking for a new carrier.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Rocky,
Calm down. The Factory reset is not a new idea unique to the Ally. It has been observed in most if not all android phones that a factory reset either right before or after a system update clears out the code for a clean install of the new system. I have also learned that this is not just for android phones. The windows mobile phones had this method as part of their updates. I think even the i*hone has at times needed a restore (factory reset).

If you take a little time to prepare for the reset, you can be up and running fairly quickly.

You can download mybackup pro to backup everything before the reset and restore it afterwards.

I use a combination of some free applications to do the same thing. Google syncs my contacts. A sms backup app save a copy of my sms messages to the sd card. I use estrongs to backup my applications to the sd card. I also create cheat sheets of where I had icons and widgets on the screen, what ringtones were assigned to which app, my downloaded applications. And finally have email and wifi settings within easy reach. Not sure how long it took me to prepare, but the factor reset I did took me only two hours from start to finish to complete. This was having the screens looking exactly like they did before the reset.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rocky281

Ann, that me Ok for you but its not for me.... I have spent many hours reseting and reloading and setting up my phone over and over again. Enough is enough and the factory reset has not fixed the issues and then I spend hours setting up my phone again. I have much better things to spend my time on than trying to reload a phone everytime something happens.

0 Likes
Ambreezy
Contributor - Level 3

the best option to resolve the issue is by completing a factory reset for your device. This can be completed through the following steps:

Factory Reset option 1
From the main screen, touch menu tab
Touch Settings
Touch Privacy
Touch Factory Data reset
Touch Reset Phone
Warning: This will erase all data from your phone, including:

• Your Google account
  • System and application data and settings
  • Downloaded Applications

It will not erase: Current System software and bundled applications; SD Card files, such as music or Photos

Factory Reset option 2  - Warning this will reset device back to original factory settings.

• Turn off the phone
  • Press and hold "home" + "end" + "volume up or down" keys together for a few seconds
  • Once device displays boot information, release keys.
0 Likes
mgrape

The reset worked for me.  All of my contacts were backed up, just in case I copied all photos and ring tones to my PC.  I did lose the apps I had installed but they were all free and I was going to clean them out anyway.  Phone is working great.

0 Likes
FKP

Well I have a question then...how long before the next update comes that can fix this problem? Cause a reset isn't something I'm trying to do right now cause there's more important things to do.

0 Likes
daverapp

As I said in my previous post, I have already performed both of the reset options and the problem is still occurring. I am aware that doing a reset is usually the go-to fix for most phone settings problems, but it is clearly not resolving this one.

If this is a known bug with the new update, then please just tell us so. Or if it's a hardware issue, tell us that instead. But don't tell us it can be fixed with a reset when we all know that this is only being recommended because it's the "default" option for fixing things.

0 Likes
tluvs

So, I see that I am not the only one having difficulties... Except mine are on a daily basis!!! And it is something different every day!

1.  I have the phone screen freeze up on me now; in the middle of a call, where I have to say enter my pin number... 

2. My home button on the outsine and inside on the keyboard NO LONGER WORK, so I have to back back back back out of everything to get to home screen. Love it when I am surfing the net!!!

3. I get notification that I am out of memory, but I have 4 things on the SD Card and one thing on the phone, and the settings tell me I have plenty of memory!

4. I don't get notifications of texts until I turn off phone and turn back on, then I get last 50 resent to me.

5. When I do restart, it tells me I have a missed call, from 2 days ago!

6. All my setting reset every time I have to restart phone (i.e., ring tones, volumes)

7.  Now, today's issues is I have NO alerts, either vibrate or ringtone, for my notifications. I have gone into settings, and volume, and set the notification volume to the loudest, and turned on the vibrate, and had my husband and 2 sons each send me a text. If I didn't look at it, I would have never known there was a missed text!!!

This is absolutely insane to have to go through when you charge so much money for these plans, phones and data services. We have 4 lines and 3 are Ally's, so you do the math that our bill is over $300 a month... and yet, I can't even make a simple phone call without the screen freezing up, or receive a text when it comes because I am notified???

I love the Ally - and had no problems with it the way it was pre update. I don't want another phone, I don't want another carrier, I want Vz to FIX what they broke!!

0 Likes