No notifcation sound if text message is open, issue since going to Android 5.0
dmbfan1978
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have notice that if I am texting a person and say i lay my phone down with out closing the conversation and they text me back I do not hear the notification sound anymore.  I have notice this since i have updated to Android 5.0.  I have done all the checking with the volume and making sure its turned up, changed the sound to a louder one.  Not using any third party software just using the standard messaging program (not Verizon messager)  This has started becoming a nuisances since i am missing a lot of text messages.  I have googled this issue and have not found a fix for it yet, so hopefully we can find a fix so i can get on with texting.  Oh i am running on a Samsung Galaxy 5S by the way if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Derek

Labels (1)
Re: No notifcation sound if text message is open, issue since going to Android 5.0
Snn5
Legend

There is an endless stream of issues related to the 5.0 update.  This is the first time I have heard of this particular issue.  So far, nobody is finding any permanent fixes to solve the issues, even if an FDR is done.  In your case, you might try another messaging app.

Re: No notifcation sound if text message is open, issue since going to Android 5.0
MissTJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem on my new Note 4. It's incredibly annoying to keep missing texts because the phone won't chime if the convo window is open. I've been searching for fixes and can't find squat. Verizon/Samsung/Android,  please find a fix to this stat!

werdnaelliott
Enthusiast - Level 1

Samsung Galaxy S5, same issue, no text notification sound while the conversation is open inside the Messages app.  I previously had an iPhone, and they do a similar things, when the conversation is open, you get a very subtle sound instead of your assigned text sound, usually I missed a new incoming message.  I find this extremely frustrating and wished there was a way to override this, and force the assigned text sound to alert upon every text, even if the conversation was open.  Both iOS and Android need to support this.

Here is another person reporting the same issue (but apparently in the wrong place as his issue was redirected) Issue 153475 - android - In-text Notification - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google...

I have reached out to Samsung Technical Support via Live Chat, and it was not super helpful. I was told to go here and use the blue feedback button on the right side to put in my comment/request.  I don't know that it is the right place for this kind of request, but I did it anyway. Maybe if enough people complain, they will do something about it. Support - Verizon Wireless Cell Phones SM-G900V | Samsung Cell Phones

douglaszrx

I'm having the same issue with my Galaxy S5 after the update to Lollipop.  YES, I went through the nightmare of having to do a factory reset.  So in addition to the new operating system being a battery hog and being sluggish, I now have this problem of missing text messages if the conversation is open.  Big headache that I've been trying to remedy for days.  I loved my Galaxy before this update to Lollipop.  Not so much any more after this PAIN of an update to the operating system. 

0 Likes
jelybene

I am having the same problem as well with my Galaxy S5.  Glad I read douglaszrx message before I did the hard reset sinceit did not help. I have missed several messages because I send a message and put the phone down "expecting to be notified when a new message comes in.

0 Likes
Ness01

You'really not using messenger + from verizon? My issue was I never got any notification sound. Called several times to verizon. Once I used the normal text envelope icon as my default ALL notifications came through with sound.

0 Likes