Re: No LG Optimus G for Verizon??????
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yes, I agree. That is a distinct possibility.

0 Likes
Mr_Connery

And here we are over a month later... not only has Verizon made no apparent effort to offer the Optimus G, but they appear to be touting HTC's DROID DNA as their flagship device in its stead. Has Verizon completely ignored the reviews of the Droid DNA, which are categorically lackluster aside from the 1080p screen? A sub-standard battery life (~12.5 hours with normal use), below average (and non-expandable) storage capacity, and the inability to add an extended life battery have led to labels like, "the phone that could have been great."

And don't hide behind "Not every phone comes to every carrier." Verizon is the largest, most influential wireless provider in the US -- if they wanted to get the Optimus G, you can be sure they would get it. There's no dealer exclusivity on the LG Optimus G; and if there was an exclusivity why wouldn't Verizon, who has the widest selection of LG phones among the major US carriers, be that exclusive provider?

Let's all admit the facts here...

1) Verizon has a contract with HTC and Motorola to push the DROID brand.

2) The LG Optimus G is the only phone on the market with the closest comparable hardware (same Snapdragon processor, same 2GB of RAM, HD screen with slightly smaller resolution) that can compete with the Droid DNA.

3) It would be very bad for HTC's revenue if customers chose to purchase a similar phone from a competing manufacturer.

So given all that... demmo86rt, would you be opposed to changing your statement from "not every phone comes to every carrier," to "it's not in Verizon's best business interest to carry a product that directly competes with the DROID product line?" It at least adds a layer of honesty to a bad customer experience.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I stand by my statement, nothing you have said changes, or even disagrees with the fact that not every phone comes to every carrier.

0 Likes
Mr_Connery

Of course I'm not going to disagree with a watered down statement like, "Not every phone comes to every carrier." It's true. My intention isn't to disagree with the statement, but rather, to challenge the "why" behind it. People can clearly see for themselves that not every phone comes to every carrier; this forum was created because that fact was noticed. They...we...want an explanation for why in this case. Specifically, why is Verizon *choosing* not to carry the Optimus G? Now, I've already made what I think is a pretty good argument for why they could and aren't, but given that you seem to have some internal ties to Verizon, I certainly don't expect you to agree and say, "Yes, it would hurt Verizon's business with HTC to carry the Optimus G." That's certainly not a statement I'd wanna hear as a customer looking for the best device for my money.

But please, don't treat the informed, product-savvy users who question those business tactics like your kids questioned you and you replied with, "Because I said so." That's basically what "Not every phone comes to every carrier" amounts to in this case. Nobody's going to disagree with it because it's a true statement, but it's not an explanation. I still challenge you to explain why, in this case, the device that is compared to the Droid DNA more than any other device currently available (the Galaxy Note II is compared 2nd most, btw) is not available from Verizon?

I'm not trying to hang you here. I read earlier that you said Google was probably gonna announce an Optimus G-based Nexus. If that's what Verizon is holding out for, fine, say that or something like it. But don't tell us the phone Gods have decreed that Verizon shall not get the LG Optimus G and that's all there is to it. There's more to it than that.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe LG didn't want to make a CDMA version of the Optimus G.

Maybe they (LG and Verizon Wireless) couldn't come to an agreement on the cost of having such a device.

There could be dozens of reasons. We are all just speculating here.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dpeco33
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe this is why they are not launching the Optimus G?

LG’s Optimus G Successor (And Its 5-Inch, 1080p Display) Could Launch As Early As May 2013

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/26/lg-optimus-g2-rumor-1080p/

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Why? I have no idea why. Most of what I know I've learned from following the rumor mills. Google did announce the Nexus 4 which, spec wise is identical to the Optimus G. It even has an LTE chip because it uses the same board, even though it is disabled. And, apparently, Verizon will not be getting that either, it's GSM only. Unfortunately, you won't find anybody around here who can answer your question. This is a peer to peer forum and the moderators and other Verizon employees are just CS reps and they have a Verizon avatar, but I wouldn't expect them to have any sort of real inside knowledge.

TALLEYban
Enthusiast - Level 1

THAT'S VERY SOON FOR AN UPDATE AND ENTIRELY TOO LONG FOR ME TO WAIT FOR VERIZON TO HAVE IT AT ALL. I HAVE ALSO BEEN WAITING FOR THIS PHONE. I RECENTLY RETURNED FROM SOUTH KOREA AND WAS PLANNING TO BUY MY VERY FIRST SMARTPHONE FOLLOWING MY UPGRADE. FOR ALMOST 7 YEARS I HAVE STAYED WITH VERIZON AND THEIR PREMIER LG PHONES. I THOUGHT IT WAS A NO-BRAINER THAT THEY WOULD CARRY THIS PHONE ALSO. FOR A LONG TIME IVE HAD MY FAIR SHARE OF COMPLAINTS FOR VERIZON BUT NONE THAT HAVE LED ME ASTRAY. EVEN NOW THAT I AM BACK IN THE U.S. I BOUGHT A CHEAP VERIZON WIRELESS GO PHONE UNTIL THIS PARTICULAR PHONE WAS RELEASED, YET AS IVE BEEN SHOPPING AROUND VERIZON AND DOING RESEARCH AND FINALLY SAW THIS POST IT REALLY HURTS ME THAT I CANT HAVE MY SAME OLD NUMBER AND SERVICE WITH A PHONE LIKE THIS!!! WITH THAT BEING THE CASE I WOULD RATHER CUT MY LOSES WITH VERIZON AND MOVE ON.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I wouldn't exactly call LG's phones "premier".

0 Likes
IAmWhatIAm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I doubt LG will like it that some one on Verizon who is acting as a community leader is cutting down their phones.

demmo86rt said:  "I wouldn't exactly call LG's phones "premier".

Not exactly something to say when Verizon also has and sells LG phones.

Remember CL's are not Verizon employees, not too bright and should not have a title of community leader. The only people with a title on these forums should be Verizon employees.

I am glad I have been able to cut and paste into word things they have said over the past few days. If you know of anything else then just reply or e-mail me.

0 Likes