No Android updates for older phones...
DaninVa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why does Google not offer Android updates for phones older than 3 years? I have a Droid Mini that I paid a lot of money for and now Verizon says I will not get anymore android updates. They said this was a Google problem and not theirs or Motorola's. This sucks! Anyone else run into this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No Android updates for older phones...
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

That really does suck.I know with the cost of phone now days you would think that they would at least send out updates for a security patch. Although the older the phone I am not sure if I would want it to take the phone to the next level like marshmallow to nugget or nugget to oreo. Some of the phones processors are not big enough to handle some of these software.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

First, don't let Verizon tell you who's problem it is. Google develops the software but that is about it. Android is open source and that means manufacturers such as Motorola can give it whatever UI they like. It is called a skin. Also, they can decide which Android features are in the device or not by removing them. Unless you are using a Pixel, you are never getting the Android software exactly the way Google designed it.

Please also understand that your phone is more than 4 years old at this point as it was originally released in July of 2013.

Personally, I believe that these devices will take updates long after the manufacturer stops supporting them. Which is generally 2 years.  Consumers must always have the newest and greatest so there isn't really a need to support older devices. Until we stop buying the newest device and starting holding on to them, manufacturers won't be forced to keep supporting them.

Take the new iPhone fr example. Yes, Apple has changed the screen technology to OLED (it's been in phones for a few years now) but the only other change between the 7 and the X (10) is the facial recognition. The changes to most smartphones is incremental and not really major updates but every year people rush ot to buy it and until that stops happening and we demand more we won't get it.

tcad
Contributor - Level 1

For any Android patch, update, or new Android version, every phone model and version would need to be tested to ensure that it would continue to work. Imagine how many phone types would have to be tested to continue with Android updates for three and four year old phones! Not gonna happen.

0 Likes
DaninVa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all that replied. I'll admit my post was as much of a rant as a question. I also understand the idea of "planned obsolescence."

@kalel... I agree 100%. Too many people these days have what I call the "Veruka syndrome": I want it; I want it all; and I want it now! 😞

DaninVa
Enthusiast - Level 2

tcad...I have been thinking about what you said. My problem with your response is that, in my way of thinking, the controlling factor for updates is the processor and memory space. Although there are many phone models, there are not that many processors as most use Qualcomm units. If the processor and amount of memory can handle an update I think it should be provided no matter the age of our phones.

But thanks for your time to answer.