Re: Nexus 6 Verizon Compatibility
Allthebrands
Enthusiast - Level 3

I see where you are coming from, but don't unveil the phone if you can't produce enough of them and promise carriers, and if was purely an inventory then Google wouldn't give it to some carriers if they are expecting it to be a flagship that will sell out quickly.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Every Wednesday Out of Stock in matter of minutes.

Motorola Out of Stock

AT&T backorder (OoS)

T-Mobile backorder (OoS)

Sprint Backorder (OoS)

Verizon doesn't control inventory. Just that right shows Motorola has production issues. Verizon IS doing them a favor by not carrying it initially. People are complainin about Verizon not selling the phone instead of it not being in stock anywhere else. If Motorola can't produce enough for 3 carriers what do you think happens if they add a 4th. It doesn't solve Motorola's problem.

Allthebrands
Enthusiast - Level 3

But what is the purpose of the first three carriers? Why do they have the hold before VZW? Google and Verizon are almost inseparable considering the number of sales that come out of Verizon are Google owned phones, many of them being Motorola. It has to be more than inventory because it is THE Google flagship. Motorola Mobility is a company owned by Google (and under negotiation to be given to Lenovo). I find it VERY unlikely that the team that did numbers on the Nexus 6 sales projections were this far off on the number of what their production can actually produce.

Maybe they are pulling a One Plus One exclusive campaign, although elitist, effective in profit/production turnover. And certainly inventory might be an issue because Google has not seen this much hype over one of their products in the past few generations of phones, But Google is a tech giant. I find it hard to think of a tech giant fail solely on production.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I don't want to explain why OnePlus has their ordering the way they do. It has more to do with production power than being elitist or exclusive feeling. Ive explained it more than a handful of times. Motorola isn't the Motorola of old. They do not have the production power to meet demand much like OnePlus has.

We can go back and forth all we want, but the constant will always be Motorola not producing enough and any more strain will cause problems. Right now Motorola will not be able to handle another potential 5M+ orders. If they could there wouldn't be OoS everywhere or a backorder 2 month or so long.

Apple numbers are astronomical yet even they have trouble producing units to meet demand on all carriers with the production power they have.

Tidbits
Legend

The lenovo deal didn't happen until near release of the Nexus 6. Before the Google buy out Motorola downsized their production plants. After the Google purchase and just before the Lenovo purchase they closed down the US plant.  It's completely a production issue.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I understand the financial reasons for shutting down the USA plant. Sometimes I wonder if that was a mistake as that plant could have potentially handled some if not a large portion of the demand for the Moto X/G production or the Nexus 6 production needs. It makes one wonder just how ramped up the production is at the new plant.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Hindsight is 20/20. If we had known now what we know now the plant would have probably never been closed.

0 Likes
Allthebrands
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree that hindsight is 20/20 but then scenario doesn't seem likely that Google and Motorola would unveil the next Moto X, The Droid Turbo, and the Nexus 6 all within a short window and say "our largest plant got shut down? no problem, we can run three devices productions on something 1/4 the size of our previously overworked plant."

If that is the scenario that went down, someone needs to look at re-adjusting management with their production sector. To make three new phones on the market and then make them scarce to hype their sale is one thing (baking the sales), but to the point of frustration will overall lower the amount of demand or consumers will simply buy another product and remove themselves from the market. I would agree this is more a logistical stumble rather than economic strategy.

Tidbits
Legend

We also have to remember that all these choices were made before they were sold off.  It wouldn't surprise me those people who made those choices are gone almost every time. Management changed every time Motorola was sold.

Motorola is using more than one plant, but those plants are not the size of the US plant nor has the capacity to build millions of units per week.

I feel Google underestimated demand, and with the Lenovo purchase being approved it's up to lenovo to ramp up production.  If Google had done things soon or if the Lenovo deal didn't go through yet maybe Google may have gotten 2-3 more plants to have them built.  Possibly reopen the US plant just for the Nexus 6.

Allthebrands
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think Google, Motorola, and Lenovo would be better off if they split the difference three ways to re-open the plant temporarily. Their customers would be happy, they would each get a reasonable level of profit. I imagine the logistics are much more complex than a community forum conversation, but if the point is profit, then customer satisfaction, working together would be a win win win for each company.