Nexus 6 Verizon Compatibility
RespectableJoe
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is Verizon going to have compatibility with the Nexus 6?

The spec's are awesome:

• Android 5
  • 5.95" Display with gorilla glass 3
  • 2 GB ram
  • 2.7GHz quad-core
  • 64 GB storage
  • 13 MP Camera (shoots 4k)
  • 24 hour talk time battery!

Looking at the official Nexus 6 Website it shows the Verizon logo but it is greyed out. I am getting the phone, even if that means dropping Verizon, but I would prefer to stay with them since they are a pretty good carrier.

So far this is the only thing I could find out, which unofficially looks like there is support, but would prefer to hear it from an employee before I buy a model geared towards Verizon compatibility: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/31/nexus-6-working-on-verizon-out-of-the-box/

Buying direct from Google is the way to go IMHO since it doesn't come with all the lame bloatware Verizon puts on the phones.

Anyone have any information on this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Nexus 6 Verizon Compatibility
Tidbits
Legend

Yes. It's only greyed out because Verizon isn't selling it yet.

View solution in original post

Tidbits
Legend

Yes. It's only greyed out because Verizon isn't selling it yet.

J_Wil007
Enthusiast - Level 1

You seem to have a lot of insight and/or information about this nexus 6 and Verizon.  Where do you get this info from. Do you currently have the phone and is it working as it should on the networK? We pay premium service and we can't get premium phones when we need them and or when they release to other carriers.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Android tech sites such as Droid-Life have already reported their review units work on Verizon Wireless out of the box as long as you have an active nano SIM card for a Verizon Wireless line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I have a Nexus 6. I am using on T-Mobile right now. I had it on Verizon, and I already have an active Sim. The only thing the Nexus can't do at this moment is activate a Sim.

Adirolf
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just an FYI on those great specs, RespectableJoe:

I read on the Moto site that the Nexus 6 has THREE GB RAM.

We're chomping at the proverbial bit here, VZW.

Wavelength
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK, I have this phone, got it 4 days ago, ordered from the Motorola site. Yes the specs are incredible but even more important the performance is absolutely first rate.  To answer your question, yes it does work on the Verizon network and right out of the box.  I took the SIM out of my blackberry, trimmed it down to the microsim card size, slipped it in and wala it worked.  I did go in and make some tweaks to the network settings, like global to LTE but even without those tweaks it just worked!

Again, to make this perfectly clear, this is plug and play, no activation or calls to Verizon required just worked!

Hope this helps and try the Moto site along with the Google site.

Tidbits
Legend

It's not completely plug and play. If you don't have an activated Sim the Nexus 6 will not activate that Sim. That's the only thing at this moment the N6 can't do. So if he is switching Sims or finally getting a device with a Sim he's SOL.

Allthebrands
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Nexus 6 has been revealed to be carried by VZW, but every single phone that is sold with a contract at a VZW store requires a sort of "check point" test before being considered a phone worthy of the character. That checkpoint test, looks at how the specs stack up in their service ecosystem. If you have ever seen a video of a benchmark test or review for any phone, it is like that, but only meeting the standards the company has set for devices it has allowed. The Nexus 6, being the first Lollipop OS device, is probably hurdling through multiple tests that VZW is putting it through so that customer satisfaction will be at the highest point it can be.

With that being said, many users that bought unlocked versions of the phone are already pleased with the performance of the device, so it is a question as to why they are dragging their feet. Today is Black Friday for 2014, and that is a large amount of sales that they could have made, but failed to do so. Now we can only hope Cyber Monday will yield something for this device and VZW. We know from the Nexus 6 site that every queue that has opened when a new shipment of devices has been produced has sold out almost instantly, so I doubt that VZW is questioning the ability for the Nexus 6 to be a lucrative endeavor.

NOW there could be a problem on Motorola and Google's end. They could have made a bid system between the US carriers and said "the first three to give this much will get the first month of devices" (kind of like an invite system with the One Plus One) and VZW just wasn't quick enough.

The other possibility is that app developers for VZW bloatware are hitting hiccups with Android 5.0 because their apps, regardless of the OS, function as they are from Android 1.0. I have an iPhone 5 and it is like taking a trip down memory lane because their buttons and loading bars from pre-iOS7.

I know this information because I read a LOT of articles on devices, and carriers and if I didn't have passions elsewhere, I would probably be a tech-journalist. I am at least a tech-head. I also say this because I am in the same boat as you are RespectableJoe, I too am waiting for VZW to offer a plan with this device because I am tired of my faulty iPhone 5 dying at 80% because a battery malfunction (and this phone is my replacement to a previously faulty iPhone 5).

I wish the best of luck to you and for all of our sake VZW will put this phone on contract before the Holiday Season is over. I know I would like to unwrap a Nexus 6 at some point in 2014.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

simple answer...  INVENTORY.  Just look how hard it is to even get one.  Adding Verizon isn't going to make it easier.  At this point Verizon is actually doing Google/Motorola a Favor by delaying.