Nexus 6 Updates & Bloatware
rothfus7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can a Verizon rep or someone who has talked to one answer this? What is the official stance on the updates procedure that will be implemented on the Nexus 6? Can they put Nexus users' minds to ease by letting us know this is not going to be the same sort of fiasco as the Galaxy Nexus, and that the N6 will actually receive timely (as in, on par with all other N6s) Android updates? Also, what extra apps (bloatware) have Verizon installed on top of what Google ships standard on the device?

P.S. Can it be confirmed that the "black" that is described on the device's Verizon page is, in fact, black and not the Midnight Blue color?

Thanks

Labels (1)
Re: Nexus 6 Updates & Bloatware
ketsler
Enthusiast - Level 1

In addition to the questions. Will the Nexus 6 every be available in the 64 GB model? Will the white variant ever be available?

slowz3r
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know that everyone wants a Nexus device on Verizon that is just left alone, and in reality I don't think that will happen but obviously depending on how comfortable you are, it is fairly easy to remove VZW bloatware android version on the VZW nexus and just flash the AOSP android rom.  Easily available for download from google and there are instructions aplenty on the internet detailing this process.

0 Likes
dmaxxu
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not a Verizon rep but there were 2 variants of the Nexus 6 made. One was international and one was US. If you purchase a Nexus 6 you can easily do a fastboot OEM unlock and then once bootloader is unlocked you can put the images Google releases for the updates for Android.

Regarding the bloatware that Verizon loves to dump on their devices they should be user uninstallable and not just disable or enable even without rooting IIRC. If this isn't the case though you can always use the image Google released instead of Verizon's bloated up version.

If you'd rather not do this and are going to use EDGE then I would recommend you either use a credit card @ 0% interest for a year and get it off GPS or finance it from Moto (though I don't recommend this as highly cause I'm not a fan of Moto's customer service as it can take a while to ship in my experience). If it's subsidized version then idk any other way than go through Verizon but remember EDGE or subsidized means losing UDP and IMO it's never worth it to lose UDP since as technology improves data usage will go up as you'll get higher quality materials at a faster speed.

If you don't have UDP then you can always use EDGE for another device and sell that then buy Nexus 6 from GPS via the funds from the sale of the EDGE device and just keep paying the EDGE payments, you're essentially spending the same if you sell @ full retail the EDGE device.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

verizon is not going to announce anything related to updates. never have and never will. if you're concerned about the bloatware, i's suggest waiting until it launches in stores and see for yourself exactly what is in there. there will most certainly be verizon apps. as for color, again, just wait until you can look at one. i'm a fan of ordering devices, but if i had these concerns, i would definitely go check one out at a store before i bought it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
The Nexus 6 is finally here! What better way to experience the latest and greatest from Google than with its newest flagship device. Currently, the Nexus 6 is in a 32GB memory option. ArnettH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Adirolf
Enthusiast - Level 3

I received my Nexus 6 from VZW in a box that states that the color is BLACK. It is Midnight Blue.

As for Bloatware - there are 2 normal VZW apps that can be removed. My Verizon and Visual Voice Mail. Also are two apps without user interfaces, Backup and SprintDM that cannot be removed nor disabled.

As for updates, we can only hope for the best.

0 Likes