Re: Nexus 5
rebretz
Contributor - Level 2

Again you show your ignorance. If it wasn't popular or didn't sale well they wouldn't of had trouble keeping it in stock. That's pretty straight forward. I'd expect anyone to understand that.

0 Likes
rebretz
Contributor - Level 2

Yeah it does. Both Moto X and the Droid line have the new Moto Blur but the X is a lot closer to stock android using more pure Google Apps and having less VZW CRAPPS forced on.

0 Likes
bwk5150
Enthusiast - Level 3

Rebretz I'm sorry bro but you are wrong. I love the nexus but it isn't even

close to a top selling phone overall.

21stNow
Master - Level 1

rebretz wrote:

Again you show your ignorance. If it wasn't popular or didn't sale well they wouldn't of had trouble keeping it in stock. That's pretty straight forward. I'd expect anyone to understand that.

The latest sales figures that I could find show that the Nexus 4 sold 3 million units worldwide.  That number is good considering the distribution channels and the stock issues.  But sales of 3 million units does not make it a popular device considering the number of smartphone users in the world.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I would prefer that as well, but the apps that Verizon adds have nothing to do with the UI, that is all on the manufacturer, and Moto is now the closest to stock outside of GPE and Nexus phones.  The additional apps don't even really need to be updated unless the dev chooses to (aside from some compatibility issues with newer versions, though that is becoming less of an issue).  My point wasn't in comparing Moto's UI to stock, my point was that the Moto X runs the same firmware as the new Droid line.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Just because a manufacturer doesn't foresee the demand doesn't automatically make it a popular device.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

It's not even MotoBlur anymore.  And apps are easily replaceable.  I'd be willing to bet that the core apps are the same on both devices, and VZW apps have nothing to do with upgradability.

0 Likes
Mraoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not "all" on the manufacturers. Obviously, this will depend on device (coughiphonecough), but Verizon has almost full say on what apps are allowed or not allowed on the images these folks put onto their devices. The bloatware apps that are on your device are rarely if ever at the discretion of the manufacturer. The apps that are pre-loaded are often at the behest of Verizon and they make them UN-INSTALLABLE (there is no reason they should be a /system app). There is no reason I can't uninstall VZ Navigator on an Android device. Who actually uses VZ Navigator in lieu of Google Maps/Navigator?

Also, the reason I mentioned the UI elements is that if you consider the update/upgrade cycles they add to the process and then further VZ adds to the process

So you have:

1. Google releases update

2. Manufacturer updates AOSP to fit their core image

3. Manufacturer adds per device drivers/customizations

4. Manufacturer adds per carrier applications

5. Manufacturer submits image to carrier for 'approval'

6. Carrier does internal testing

7. Carrier does soak testing (to users signed up for soak)

8. Carrier releases update to phones

If you eliminate carrier control, you get rid of steps 4 - 8 and the manufacturer can just update the phone directly. Even then I'd prefer to eliminate step 2 and just use stock, but that's neither here nor there, I guess.

I'd put money on Apple being exempt from some of those steps or prioritized, which is completely unfair to us non Apple-devotees.

Esteban4u
Enthusiast - Level 2

Duplicate post - visit the following to see discussion:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1010288#1010288

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Well_Then
Enthusiast - Level 1

What you describe I have been trying to figure out for some time in regards to Apple.  The day an update is ready it is released to all phones eligible for the upgrade, regardless of carrier, at the same time.  It is OTA or computer installed and has no carrieir branding included in it.  Also, it is optional, not required.  In fact, VZW sends packages to the Apple servers to be included in updates or when plugged in, i.e. carrier settings.  So, how is it that Apple is able to do this yet Android devices are not?  That is what stumps me.  Effectively Apple has one step, but I'll add two for fun.

1. Release update.

2. ?

3. Profit

So equate the iphone to a nexus, meaning it is manufacturer controlled.  The manufacturer controls the hardware and software.  So how does the Galaxy Nexus get delayed updates by VZW when the manufacturer releases an update and other carriers have recieved the update.  Looks like the carrier still controls the cycle in regards to Google but not Apple.

0 Likes