Re: Nexus 1 sold by VZW or Google?
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

This thread caught my eye because I'm still on the fence about getting a Moto Droid now or waiting to see what the N1 will bring in terms of pricing and plan options.  I'm concerned about a couple things though:

1) Plan options: if the N1 can't be used with a family share plan, that's an absolute deal breaker for me.  My wife and I share a plan and it works out great for us.  I'm not willing to break that contract and force both of us to get new ones just so I can get the N1.  It doesn't mean that much to me when the Moto Droid is a very viable alternative.

2) Pricing.  This is a big one too.  Since my wife's line is the primary one in our shared plan, I don't get the NE2 credit in addition to the 2 year promotional pricing.  If the price tag for a 2 yr contract is too high and isn't available with a family shared plan, I'm walking away and getting the Moto Droid.

Any takers on what the pricing and plan options might be?  I'm wondering if I'm holding out for disappointment....

0 Likes
CameronCrazy

Well I dont think there is a way to know either until something official is released.  However, I have read quite a few things about it, which should be understood are just rumors.

Is there a reason it might not be available on a family plan?  I havent heard of anything like that for a smart phone for quite a long time so in my opinion, you should be able to get it on your family plan.  It would affect to many people negatively to do something like that these days

From what I have read, it wont be any more than $200 with a two year plan.  Verizon has been bringing in all of their top smart phones (Droid and Omnia are most recent) at $199 with two year plan.  I think it is safe to say the Nexus One will follow suit.

0 Likes
droidoholic

I would hold out for the Droid Incredible, It should be out soon.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

droidoholic wrote:

I would hold out for the Droid Incredible, It should be out soon.

How do we know it will drop on Verizon?

0 Likes
droidoholic
0 Likes
freyakat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any guesses on what "soon" means?

I've been waiting since December to use my NE2 discount. I've heard rumors about an amazing new HTC phone for Verizon since November!  There was supposed to be an HTC phone named either Passion or Bravo, but neither of those has emerged. I don't want to wait another  3 to 6 months, but I don't want to settle on something then have a great phone come out a month later. :smileymad:

I have been a satisfied Verizon customer for 10 years now. It is the only carrier I can get in my rural area, but why can't we get some cool phones to go with the great service? :smileysad:

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

Freyakat, I hear you and I agree. I'm up for my NE2 at the end of this month and I only have until June before my contract expires, so I've got to grab something before then. The biggest problem to me is, do I go with what's available now (Moto Droid) or keep waiting for something better? I really want the Nexus One, but I don't know when it will be available to VZW (Spring 2010 is a bit vague) or which plans will be offered with it. That combined with the "No! Wait for the Incredible to come out!" or "No, the Legend will be here soon!" Makes me wonder if the wait is really worth it. There's always something better right around the corner, but I don't want to keep waiting month after month for it. I'm going to try to hold out until the N1 hits Verizon, but I won't wait forever.

0 Likes
seabright
Contributor - Level 1

axel_2078 wrote:

Freyakat, I hear you and I agree. I'm up for my NE2 at the end of this month and I only have until June before my contract expires, so I've got to grab something before then. 

You don't really have to do anything before then if you don't want to. Nothing happens when your contract expires. The contract is not automatically renewed nor is your service cancelled. You just go month to month until you buy new equipment and renew the contract. VZW will keep sending you a bill, you're monthly service will remain the same.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

seabright wrote:

axel_2078 wrote:

Freyakat, I hear you and I agree. I'm up for my NE2 at the end of this month and I only have until June before my contract expires, so I've got to grab something before then. 

You don't really have to do anything before then if you don't want to. Nothing happens when your contract expires. The contract is not automatically renewed nor is your service cancelled. You just go month to month until you buy new equipment and renew the contract. VZW will keep sending you a bill, you're monthly service will remain the same.

Really? I wasn't aware of that.  I figured they'd just auto-renew it like Sprint did when I had them.

0 Likes
sranger

I am in the same boat.   I currently have a company phone and our corporate contract in up in April and they decided to give us and allowance instead of a phone. As a result I have to get a new phone and plan.  However, from what I can see, Verizon seems to drag the introduction of new new phones out for a very long time.  It seems like Sprint and T-Mobile get the new phone series a few months ahead on Veizon.  I would think that they would want the new phones avaliable as quiclky as possible, but based on reading these boards that does not seem to happen.

I am going to hold out for a phone with :

* No flip/slide out keyboard ( I know I would break it )

* Must have at lease a 1Ghz processor.

*At lease a 800x400 ( Or Close resolution )

* Play MP3

* Surf the web with real flash support ( prefer 10.1 )

* GPS Navigation

* Android 0S 2.1 ( or higher )

* USB conectivity to PC.

So far, only the Google N1 meets this requirments, but the Coverage with T-Moble is horrable....

I may have to get a simple pre-paid phone from StraightTalk for a couple of months, ( Heck it is so cheap, I might just stay with them ) but it will be annoying having to move my Mobile number twice.  I would prefer to do it only once, but it look like this is going to be a long wait....

0 Likes