Need help. Have an iPhone 5, want a Nexus 6. What do I do?
Allthebrands
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello VZW Community,

It is November, and my contract is up for renewal. I have a replacement iPhone 5 because my other iPh5 had a broken button and the factory battery malfunction. Well, the factory battery malfunction exists in the replacement as well and with the contract renewal open I thought why not get a new phone. So here are my wants:

0. OnePlus One (impossible because GSM devices don't work on VZW CDMA)

1. Nexus 6 (it is a Nexus, and the whitelist process will take longer than 3 months or until February for the Nexus to hit data plans in VZW)

2. Xperia Z3 (VZW offers the Z3v which really a Z2 variant as indicated by the kit kat Easter egg)

3. Galaxy S5 (will be obsolete by January 2015 with Samsung's new marketing tactic to try and unveil a new phone every other business quarter)

this post is mainly for help, but it is also out of frustration. I hold no device brand loyalty and would just like to make the switch over to android, but the Nexus 6 is the preferred phone of my choosing and VZW is dragging their feet on what could be a very lucrative product for them. I'm like fry (Shut up and take my money!) I'm tired of my iPhone 5 dying at 80% and getting a 2nd replacement seems pointless because the week I do that they will unveil the Nexus 6 with a VZW contract. To both the VZW Community, and the Customer support I'm simply asking, what is my best course of action? I am on a contract based budget.

thank you for reading this and I hope you have a happy thanksgiving,

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need help. Have an iPhone 5, want a Nexus 6. What do I do?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no additional fee for activating a phone you purchased elsewhere on an active Verizon Wireless line. I do it almost every four months when I switch phones around.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Purchase the Nexus 6 from the Play Store or the Motorola website at full retail price.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Allthebrands
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would love to drop that kind of money, but with the activation fee on top of the retail price, I don't have the budget to afford that price.

Thank you for your help though.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Allthebrands wrote:

I would love to drop that kind of money, but with the activation fee on top of the retail price, I don't have the budget to afford that price.

Thank you for your help though.

What activation fee? There is no activation fee or upgrade fee to activate a phone you purchased elsewhere on an active Verizon Wireless line.

0 Likes
Allthebrands
Enthusiast - Level 3

I might be wrong on this but if you put a non VZW phone onto a VZW contract there is a fee of $30-$40 dollars. This on top of the $649 which will round out to $665 or $670 with tax. If VZW had a 2 year contract with the Nexus 6 it would be $200 instead of almost $700.

My issue is that my current device is a faulty iPhone 5 and it is a replacement to what was an already faulty iPhone 5. I am on a budget and would gladly pay for a contract, because that is something I can afford. My Phone currently dies anywhere from 80%-1% of battery life.

Maybe I am wrong about unlocked phone fees, but I am still looking at $500 I do not have.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no additional fee for activating a phone you purchased elsewhere on an active Verizon Wireless line. I do it almost every four months when I switch phones around.

Tidbits
Legend

Even if you pay $200 up front... You end up paying for your phone over the course of 2 years. There's no difference than using Motorola's financing.