Need Help with Message + app Please.
LA_Dizz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I just got my Galaxy S6 a couple of weeks ago.  I love the Message + app for texts.  But I have noticed a problem. Certain notifications are not working for texts (even though they are assigned to a specific contact).  Some of them are downloaded from a 3rd party app (like Zedge) and some are cut up MP3 files from downloaded songs in the music library.  Some work and some don't, even though they are from the same source - and are all MP3 files.

But when I switch to the native Samsung Message app, those notifications DO work.  So I'm assuming the issue is with the Message + app, and not the phone itself.  I have tried moving files around in the device storage to make them accessible to the apps and allow me to choose them when I am assigning ringtones and message tones.

Do you have a work around for this?  I would REALLLLY like to keep using the Message + app - my fave feature is the editable pics, BUT if I can't assign specific tones for specific contacts, I will have to move to the native app or worse, a 3rd party one like Chomp or Handcent.  This feature is a deal breaker.

PLEASE HELP!!!! 

Thanks in advance. 

Sandy

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Need Help with Message + app Please.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're glad that you are enjoying the Verizon Messages application. Based on what you described with 3rd party apps notifications, it could be that those apps are not compatible with the VZ messages. There is not a work around as the issue is not with our application. We would hope that you continue to use this or as you mentioned, the stock application is available for you to switch back to.

SheritaH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LA_Dizz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Sherita,

Thanks for the reply.  However, I would venture to say that the apps themselves ARE compatible with VZ messages, since one (Zedge) is very popular, and the other is merely an app designed to cut up sounds into smaller MP3 files.  If the apps were incompatible as you suggested, then I would think that NONE of the files would work. But, some work, and some don't.  The file formats for both working *and* non-working files are the same - MP3.  Also, if the files themselves were corrupt, then the native Samsung Message app would not play/use them, but alas, that is not the case.  They work fine on the native app.

I hope you delve into this issue further, and can find a solution.  The VZ Message app is definitely the better of the two included options on the S6 Edge.

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to customize your phone with different tones is a great feature with Android phones LA_Dizz. Zedge and Messages+ are two great apps to be able to work with. I personally use both on my Samsung phone as well. I agree with you completely that I like this app much better than the stock messaging app with the phone. I never want to be the bearer of bad news but the customized ringtones per contact isn't available with Messages+. I've tried Zedge tones, stock tones, custom tones but none of them will take for individual contacts. This is a current limitation of this application. I will certainly submit feedback on this though to see if this is something that we can update with Messages+ in a future app update.

NicoleB_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LA_Dizz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I appreciate the reply and the confirmation that the Message+ app has some limitations.  However, I will reiterate that I do have different message tones for texts for certain contacts and they DO work. The ones that work come from different sources (stock tones, Zedge tones, and VZ tones) which is why it is so puzzling that some work and some don't.  I see by your reply that Message+ does not support individual custom notifications for different contacts.  I can attest to the contrary.  Maybe they only work on the newest Samsung (I have the S6 Edge).  But they do work - just not for every Contact. It is sporadic and depends on the sound too, I guess.

I hope this feedback and "wish list" for custom notifications is considered.  Having custom notifications work on future generations of this app would make it a 10 out of 10!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

LA_Dizz wrote:

Thanks.  I appreciate the reply and the confirmation that the Message+ app has some limitations.  However, I will reiterate that I do have different message tones for texts for certain contacts and they DO work. The ones that work come from different sources (stock tones, Zedge tones, and VZ tones) which is why it is so puzzling that some work and some don't.  I see by your reply that Message+ does not support individual custom notifications for different contacts.  I can attest to the contrary.  Maybe they only work on the newest Samsung (I have the S6 Edge).  But they do work - just not for every Contact. It is sporadic and depends on the sound too, I guess.

I hope this feedback and "wish list" for custom notifications is considered.  Having custom notifications work on future generations of this app would make it a 10 out of 10!

Interesting... I use Messages + and do not see an option to set custom tones per contact for text messaging.  I can set individual ringtones, but only one tone for all text messages using Messages +.  (I'm using the Droid Turbo, and also have used Messages+ with a Galaxy S5 in the past)

Is there an option on the S6 to set individual text tones in addition to the ringtone?  Are yo usetting it in the contact information or via the texting app?  Just curious, as I have used custom texting tones on phones I had years ago, but I haven't recently as I haven't been able to find the options that allow me to do so.

0 Likes
LA_Dizz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi SuzyQ.  Agreed, the Messages+ app doesn't have a setting to assign notification tones per contact.  You can only assign a general text tone for all incoming text messages.

However, I have set up individual text tones (and ringtones) through the Contacts section on the S6 Edge.  It allows me to assign both a ringtone and a message tone for each contact.  I could do this on my old S4 as well - but on S4, I was using Chomp SMS for texts which allowed me to assign custom tones through the Chomp app.

The Messages+ app recognizes SOME of the individual text tones that are set up for certain contacts, but not others.  This is where my original post comes in.  I am not sure why some work and some don't.  Verizon seems to say that NONE of them should work because Messages+ doesn't support that customization, but it works on my phone, albeit sporadically. 

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Instead of looking at the source of the ringtone (since that doesn't seem to be why it's not recognized) - look  at the contacts that it works for, and the ones that it doesn't work for.  Is there anything that jumps out at you that the working and non-working contacts may have in common?  (Texting app they are using, carrier, type of phone?)

I really don't know why it would work sometimes and not others...just trying to throw out ideas and maybe jog something....

LA_Dizz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi again,

There are two contacts in particular for whom the message tones don't work.  I have deleted both contacts, and re-added them, changed out the tones, deleted and re-added those tones, and nothing works.  The two contacts are on different operating systems, as one is using an iPhone 6 and the other is using a Nexus - so both Android and iOS.  I have other contacts that are also on individual tones, but since those aren't giving me issues, I haven't messed with them figuring it is better to leave them alone.

I can't think of anything else to do, so I have switched over to the stock messaging app (for now) until something updates and changes on the Message+ app.  I really like it, way more than the standard Samsung messages app.  But being able to customize it seems like such a simple, common, and necessary feature that I'm surprised that it is not supported - supposedly.

0 Likes