Native email not working after Lollipop upgrade - Galaxy Tab S
peanut7972
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Galaxy Tab S just upgraded to Lollipop and now I keep getting an error that states 'Unfortunately, email has stopped working' every time I try to launch the native email app. I tried clearing the cache and also restarting my tablet to no avail. The Clear Data button in the Application Manager is grayed out so I cannot delete data. Also, I cannot delete the existing email accounts to try and reset them because when you access them in Settings>Accounts, it attempts to open the email app once you select Remove Account which then results in the same error.

I would really prefer not to do a factory reset without a guarantee that it is going to fix the problem (I know that this frequently gets recommended when there is no other solution available but also rarely fixes the problem).

I use this tablet for work email and cannot be without it. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to fix?

Labels (1)
Re: Native email not working after Lollipop upgrade - Galaxy Tab S
Snn5
Legend

I recommend using the dedicated app for your email service such as Gmail for Gmail, Yahoo for Yahoo or Outlook for MSN, Hotmail, Live.  That is, if possibly you use those services.  Also, K9 Mail is a popular app.  You can add you POP3 or IMAP email to Gmail also.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
peanut7972,

Updates are meant to improve your phone, not caused you these headaches. Being able to use your tablet for work is definitely important so I completely understand how you feel.

I appreciate all the troubleshooting you've done so far. Have you tried rebooting the tablet or wiping cache partition http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-119427/? If you have tried all this and are unable to uninstall the email accounts, the next step would be a factory reset http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-129002/. I know this can be inconvenient but a necessary step if you have tried everything else.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
peanut7972
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion, SNN5! Unfortunately, I manage several email accounts and would like to continue to use the combined inbox functionality of the native email app. Hoping that someone out there has a solve for this as I don't think it's too much to ask to have the native app function.

0 Likes
peanut7972
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi John-

I had already tried rebooting the tablet. I just tried the wiping cache partition and it didn't fix anything. Still getting the same error.

I really hate that I have to factory reset this and not even sure if that is going to fix the issue. It's pretty ridiculous that an OS update can render a native app completely useless. What do I do next if I go through with a factory reset and it doesn't fix the problem?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
peanut7972,

I understand how you feel. If you are unable to delete the email accounts and readd them. The next steps would be a hard reset. I know this can be inconvenient but a necessary step. If the issue persist after the hard reset we can take a look at your account for other options.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
AMCD3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having calendar sync problems and significant battery life reduction since my upgrade. What to do?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh goodness, AMCD3! I'm sure this is an issue for you as well.Can you explain what is going on with the calendar sync? Is there an error? Are you using the Google calendar?

How long is the battery lasting after a full charge?

Have you been able to make sure all apps are updated?

This will also help with some basic troubleshooting http://vz.to/MLDgRr

TamaraH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
peanut7972
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally got up the courage to do a factory reset and now I'm even more screwed than I was before. The app still is giving me the exact same error and now I can't get through the setup wizard because I can't add an email account. So my tablet is a $500 completely useless brick. How do I fix this now????

0 Likes