Music skipping
seth_oriath

So, I just received my HTC Droid Eris earlier today.  I have to admit, I have loved almost everything about it, except for one dealbreaker.  I copied all of my music into a Music folder I created on the microSD card.  When I launched the music player, though, I noticed something.  It was sluggish.  It would often skip 1/2 seconds - 1 second of a song, most noticably when the screen auto-shuts off (or even when you manually turn off the screen by pressing the End key),  I thought it might be an issue with the bluetooth headphones I was using (Motorola S9-HD), but after I plugged in a regular pair of headphones, the skipping still continued.  I thought it might be another application hogging resources, so I used Advanced Task Killer to kill everything and started over.  Still happened.  After turning off 3G and WiFi, it seems like that helped, but it didn't stop the issue completely.  And it's just plain annoying.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I've tried using another music app (MixZing Lite), but it still skipped.  Plus, that app does not want to take input from the bluetooth headset; instead, input launches the built-in music player.  I haven't tried Pandora to see if the issue exists there, but I will probably tomorrow.

I like this phone (I really like the virtual keyboard; for some reason, I type better on it than on others), but if I can't get the music player to work without skipping, then I'm going to be forced to either find another phone or kill my contract.  And as tempting as the iPhone is, I do *not* want to move to AT&T to get it.  They tried to sue me for $.35 before.  Yes, they are that **bleep**.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Music skipping
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

seth_oriath wrote:

So, I just received my HTC Droid Eris earlier today.  I have to admit, I have loved almost everything about it, except for one dealbreaker.  I copied all of my music into a Music folder I created on the microSD card.  When I launched the music player, though, I noticed something.  It was sluggish.  It would often skip 1/2 seconds - 1 second of a song, most noticably when the screen auto-shuts off (or even when you manually turn off the screen by pressing the End key),  I thought it might be an issue with the bluetooth headphones I was using (Motorola S9-HD), but after I plugged in a regular pair of headphones, the skipping still continued.  I thought it might be another application hogging resources, so I used Advanced Task Killer to kill everything and started over.  Still happened.  After turning off 3G and WiFi, it seems like that helped, but it didn't stop the issue completely.  And it's just plain annoying.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I've tried using another music app (MixZing Lite), but it still skipped.  Plus, that app does not want to take input from the bluetooth headset; instead, input launches the built-in music player.  I haven't tried Pandora to see if the issue exists there, but I will probably tomorrow.

I like this phone (I really like the virtual keyboard; for some reason, I type better on it than on others), but if I can't get the music player to work without skipping, then I'm going to be forced to either find another phone or kill my contract.  And as tempting as the iPhone is, I do *not* want to move to AT&T to get it.  They tried to sue me for $.35 before.  Yes, they are that **bleep**.

Do you have another micro sd card that you could test this out?  if it skips with the other card then its the software/hardware, return it and exchange it. but if it doesnt do this then it is the card and you should start by reformatting the card and transfer your music to it, then see if it skips.  if still skips go in and exchange the card, could be a bad card.

0 Likes
seth_oriath

I'll do that.  After listening to Pandora for a little bit (and it playing a lot of the music I already have :-P), I haven't heard a skip yet.  That was with wired headphones, though.  I'll try it with bluetooth here in a moment.  If I still hear no skipping, I'll reformat the card and hopefully that will do the trick.

By the way, what's the best way to reformat the media on these smartphones?  Use Windows to do it, or is there a setting I should use on the phone itself?

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

i have a pair of bluetooth headsets as well.  there was a time where mine would skip a portion of the songs as well (now that i recall) and that was with my LgVu and sometimes my enV3.  but with my Droid, it doesn't do that.  are you sure that your bluetooth is fully charged?  it could do that if the power is too low, i think

you can format your card through your phone (or at least with the Moto Droid).  for the Droid, it asks you to unmount your sd card first then you can format the card.

but you can do it through your pc if you are comfortable that way.

0 Likes
seth_oriath

After listening to the music player for the past few days, I've learned that there were two different phenomina I was experiencing.

One was the skipping I mentioned, which seems like it was caused by a close-by wireless device.  Moving the device away, and it seems that issue is clarified.

The other issue isn't a skipping, but a stuttering.  That stutter is what was noticeable when I turned off the screen.  And it seems the music player stutters whenever a song is first played (very annoying) and whenever the phone sends a signal to check for something syncing (mail, SMS, something like that).  I've tried closing out all programs that would be syncing, but it still does it.  Unfortunately, I can't identify a particular pattern to it either.  I've closed out everything, and it still happens.  It's very annoying.

I've also tried using different apps to no avail.  MixZing does it as well, plus has the annoyance of having a bug that doesn't allow AVRCP devices to control it.  If I were to try to pause it using my headphones, the headphones instead launch the built-in music player.

Plus, this stuttering happens even with wired headphones.

Pandora happens to work well, though, although even it can be noted to stutter at times, but nowhere near as often.

This phone just cannot multitask well, at least from what I can tell.

0 Likes
Frozen

I am having the same problems with music skipping.  I do not use my blue tooth head set on my eris or at least not yet.  I have the same skipping/stutter at the begging of every song (or it seems).  This is frustrating that a default application acts like this.  I do miss my Apple IPhone!!!  It feels like this was rushed to market and they are scrambling to fix some of its short falls.  The music player feels like a cell phone media player..its a piece of junk.

I have stopped using the default player because it has problems.  This was almost a deal breaker but I downloaded MixZing lite and it works pretty well.  It even loads the album art from the web.  I do not have the stutter/skipping in this player like I do in the default player.

I hope they fix this because the 3rd party app does not have a lock screen widget.

Also I don't know if this has anything to do with the skipping but there is no min or max bit rate on music or video files listed in the Eris specs.  I have music that varies from 128 - 320 and I also have some vbr music? 

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

seth_oriath wrote:

After listening to the music player for the past few days, I've learned that there were two different phenomina I was experiencing.

One was the skipping I mentioned, which seems like it was caused by a close-by wireless device.  Moving the device away, and it seems that issue is clarified.

The other issue isn't a skipping, but a stuttering.  That stutter is what was noticeable when I turned off the screen.  And it seems the music player stutters whenever a song is first played (very annoying) and whenever the phone sends a signal to check for something syncing (mail, SMS, something like that).  I've tried closing out all programs that would be syncing, but it still does it.  Unfortunately, I can't identify a particular pattern to it either.  I've closed out everything, and it still happens.  It's very annoying.

I've also tried using different apps to no avail.  MixZing does it as well, plus has the annoyance of having a bug that doesn't allow AVRCP devices to control it.  If I were to try to pause it using my headphones, the headphones instead launch the built-in music player.

Plus, this stuttering happens even with wired headphones.

Pandora happens to work well, though, although even it can be noted to stutter at times, but nowhere near as often.

This phone just cannot multitask well, at least from what I can tell.

it could be that it is more of a hardware problem.  i can understand about pandora, that is more of a 3g data transfer thing but if the music is coming from your phone then it is something internal.  it has to be because then there would be a thread of someone ranting about it.

and by the way thanks for not doing that, you are one of the sane ones.

but please look into exchanging it, might be internal.

0 Likes