Motorola Razr HD Display issue
DPcell

I've had this device since it launched and it worked flawlessly for nearly two years. Then came the Killer KitKat update that fried most people's Motorolas. I had a number of serious issues with mine but couldn't get help from either VZW or Motorola(needless to say this is the last Motorola I will buy). It's been limping along and I've just dealt with it but now the display is crashing. The display quickly fills with horizontal black lines. The phone thinks the display is still "on" but it's entirely black. I tap the power button once and wait then a second time and it will usually come back on. It is happening more frequently now and I would like to know if it's software or hardware related and if it can be fixed before it takes my phone down for the final count. I really love this phone and don't want to give it up(or give up my unlimited 4g data plans). Anyone got any useful information for this issue?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Motorola Razr HD Display issue
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DPcell

Thank you for reaching out. I know from experience this phone is great. Does the phone have any physical/water damage? Is your phone insured? Are you getting any time of error message when your phone crashes? Please provide additional detail so we can come up with the root cause.

JorgeO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DPcell

Its never been wet or dropped, looks like new. Its not insured, it just can't handle the KitKat OS so it has lots of issues. No error message shows related to the display crash

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

That issue you are describing has absolutely nothing to do with KitKat itself.  I have multiple Motorola phones (2 HD's 1 Droid Maxx) and had ZERO issues with putting KitKat on the phone.  Neither did any of the other people I know that have a Motorola.  It sounds like your Hardware took a dive about the same time as KitKat came out.

DPcell

Listen Jakeman1, I didn't post a request to have my intelligence insulted, to be called a liar or to hear about your lack of issues. If you have nothing helpful to offer, don't waste people's time.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

And no one is calling you a liar at all.  What I was pointing out is that if it was a KitKat issue or software issue then it would impact all of the phones that got that software.  I was also pointing out that what you are describing is a Hardware issue and all of the advice in the world on here will do nothing.  So if you have insurance or the extended Warranty through Verizon then pursue a replacement from either Verizon or saurian.  If you do not then call Motorola. I would leave KitKat out of it because you are giving them something to blame right off the bat.  You tell them about the screen issue and ask what it will take to fix it.  Depending on how long the phone is out of Warranty they may offer to extend it through them for like $55 or so bucks and then send you a replacement.  They may try to talk you into sending the phone into them to evaluate and repair it but that will take them 4-6 weeks or longer to get it back to you.  The other thing you can do is try one of the independent fix it places (u-Break I-Fix is pretty good and pretty reasonable).

B33
Legend

Great advice Jakeman1 b

0 Likes
DPcell

Example of good advice:

Reading(or listening to) all information provided

Asking pertinent questions related to the problem

Refraining from making assumptions

Providing information based on facts stated, not your personal experience

Bad advice(aka trolling):

Assuming your situation is everyone's situation

Making statements or asking questions that have no relevance to the problem

Ignoring previously stated information

Stating that the facts provided must be false

That being said, I am not interested in "help" that isn't helpful. My first two posts provide most of the information necessary to make an educated guess, had they been taken into account. Information from someone who has actually experienced the issue would be preferable.

Let me reiterate my issue in hopes that someone who actually reads can be helpful. The phone, a Motorola Razr HD, is 2 and a half years old, has never been dropped(or thrown), has never been wet, is out of warranty as far as Verizon is concerned, has never been insured and has had software crashes and failures since installing the KitKat update. I have spoken with Verizon tech support AND Motorola(for two and a half hours total) regarding the software issues. Neither Verizon nor Motorola offered any viable solution or solved the issues. There have been no error messages or warnings in regards to the display crashes and they are happening with increasing frequency. They started about 4 months ago happening only once a week at most. They are now happening at least once a day. I have removed all apps that I am aware that are RAM usage intensive. I am fully versed in smartphone troubleshooting and in particular Android OS having been employed by Verizon Corporate for 5 years but we are all stumped sometimes. It has been two years since I worked for the company and my hope was that there was new information or solutions regarding the issues I am experiencing that I am not aware of.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Sorry to put this.. This way:  But forward progress is of the working way.. can't return to old..

I too have a Good old Motorola Device that has the older outdated software there is no more updates it can get it has the Latest and even though I've update the Apps I use,  for them it's a 50 / 50 split some work ok and some its painful to watch the phone run and struggle with the particular app the Manufactures are not going to focus on these outdated Devices there Focus is on the New coming and just released and even them sometimes don't get enough attention.!

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

So based on your first message, you were reporting an issue with "The display quickly fills with horizontal black lines. The phone thinks the display is still "on" but it's entirely black. I tap the power button once and wait then a second time and it will usually come back on" Nowhere did you say you had issues with the software until the last message.

Your first message also stated that " the Killer KitKat update that fried most people's Motorolas" and I was pointing out to you FROM EXPERIENCE that this is not a true statement because most peoples Motorola's work and worked just fine after KitKat.

So perhaps what you were trying to say and what you actually typed in the first message are not quite the same which is fine, it happens.

So that with the extra information you provided, still points to a hardware issue.  Now that you have also stated there is NO insurance, the second part of my answer still holds true.  If you contact Motorola and get the correct person, they will offer to extend your warranty (that is already EXPIRED) and help you get a new phone for the cost of the Extended Warranty.  And yes this is from Experience on my almost 2 1/2 year old Motorola Razr HD that was delaminating and Motorola offered to extend the warranty for $55.00 and sent me a new Motorola Razr HD.  Other than that, your options are very limited.  You can also bring it to uBreak - iFix and see if they can fix the hardware issue and or at the very least diagnose the exact cause.  It may be something very simple