Market Download Issue
zignzag86

I am trying to update applications already installed on my LG Vortex, but after downloading, I receive this notification:  Installation error:  Couldn't install on USB Storage or SD Card.

Any ideas why this is happening, or how to fix?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Market Download Issue
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Are these applications installed on your sd card? To check go to settings > applications > manage applications > sd card.

If they are, move them back to the phone's internal memory and try to update them again. After they have updated you can move the applications to sd card again.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend
why have apps on sd card?
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I have noticed some applications automatically install to the sd card if the Android system allows it. Angry Birds is one example.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

zignzag86 wrote:

I am trying to update applications already installed on my LG Vortex, but after downloading, I receive this notification:  Installation error:  Couldn't install on USB Storage or SD Card.

Any ideas why this is happening, or how to fix?

Hi there! 

Can you please advise that apps are causing this error message? Is this still an issue? I would recommend going into "Settings>Applications>Manage Apps>All". Then select the Market from the list, tap on "clear cache" or "uninstall updates". Once you've completed those, please re-try those application updates.

Thank you!

0 Likes
ag_choc

Plug your phone into a computer and put it in Mass Storage mode.

On the computer, navigate to the phone storage and find the folder called .android_secure.

Find and delete a file with a name like smdl2tmp1.asec. 

This is a temporary file created during some installations.  If the installation fails and the file is left behind, then further installations will fail with the message you received. 

I found this at the following post: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/04/19/fixing-the-couldnt-install-on-usb-storage-or-sd-card-problem...

It's embarrassing that Verizon doesn't have an answer for this.  I've seen the question posted many places, but the answer few.

0 Likes