Malfunction at startup on Eris
selane

Today I rebooted my Eris as I do every few days and now I'm getting error messages on the home screen and the phone isn't picking up service. I've tried repeating the shut down and also pulling the battery, but I keep getting the same messages:

"The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." (option to "Force Close")

When I push the Phone button I receive the message "The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Option to "Force Close"

I can open up the native messaging app, clock, camera, etc.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thank you for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Malfunction at startup on Eris
tsauter
Contributor - Level 2

In my experience, the cause is normally an app that has been installed. The normal culprits are home screen replacement apps but others can also cause the problem, like phonebook apps. Have you installed any new apps? if so, uninstall them and see if it fixes your problem. If it doesn't, try a factory reset (settings---->sd card & phone storage----->factory data reset). Make sure you sync your contacts first. Any pics, videos, etc will not be affected as they are stored on the sd card.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tsauter
Contributor - Level 2

In my experience, the cause is normally an app that has been installed. The normal culprits are home screen replacement apps but others can also cause the problem, like phonebook apps. Have you installed any new apps? if so, uninstall them and see if it fixes your problem. If it doesn't, try a factory reset (settings---->sd card & phone storage----->factory data reset). Make sure you sync your contacts first. Any pics, videos, etc will not be affected as they are stored on the sd card.

0 Likes
selane
That worked. I had installed a few apps yesterday, so I just dumped them all. Probably a good idea to install one at a time to check for compatability. Thank you!
0 Likes
sledgeahmr

I just thought I would contribute to this issue, as I too have come across this behavior and although the posted solution seemed to fix the issue, the fundamental problem was not likely a single buggy application that caused this problem. In fact you will probably run into this behavior again when you install additional apps, turn off the phone and restart it. Here's the issue:

Keep in mind, I have spoken with both HTC and Verizon technical support personal and neither of them had a clue in regards to resolving the issue. Unfortunately both HTC's and Verizon's support assistance led me down a path to a hard reset and complete rebuild, ultimately I reset it four times before researching and understanding the underlying issue. (very frustrating to say the least)

On start up, various processes (i.e. com.process.* etc.) need at least 60-70mb of free internal memory space in order to successfully start all the services that correlate and enable data, voice, etc. to work. If your internal memory does not have at least that amount, your phone upon start up will pop various force close error dialogs for the above mentioned processes.

So the fix: Don’t install so many applications as to take the internal memory below the 60-70mb range.

On a side note, I have to say this is a truly a horrible design flaw that could have been avoided by simply reserving the 60-70mb of internal memory for the boot process of the phone. At the very least a warning dialog could have been used to notify the user that there is not enough internal memory to install the app, once the 60-70mb range is reached. However, I have to say I Love My HTC Eris and the underlying Android OS!

Hope this helps to prevent someone from hard resetting and having to rebuild the phone.

0 Likes
tsauter
Contributor - Level 2

What you say might be true, but I feel the need to say that I have been running my Andriod phone with only 14mb of free space for over a year. Now granted I have the G1, which is only the 1.6 OS. This problem may be as you say with the 2.01 OS of the Driod. However, like I said in my earlier post, with the 1.6 and earlier OS the issue seems to be caused by the apps coding and how it plays with andriods underlying processes.

0 Likes
sledgeahmr

You could be correct, I'm not sure? As I did not comment on a forum question about the G1 1.6 os or the Android 2.0 or 2.1. I was commenting on a post that dealt specifically with the HTC Eris, which is the 1.5 os and it has some fundamental differences from the other devices…

It would make perfect sense that the issue was identified and addressed in the subsequent os releases but the 1.5 certainly seems to have this error in design.

0 Likes