MMS Timeouts on Group Texting Due to Verizon Android 7.0 Bug
ljmccon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having trouble with group texting for MONTHS, ever since my phone was updated to Android 7.0.  In short, after sending/receiving a certain volume of group texts in a short period of time, texting "locks up" and no MMS messages can be sent or received for about 20 minutes.  After about 20 minutes, the problem corrects, and all the messages I've missed come in all at the same time.

This article further explains the issue and what causes it:   MMS Timeouts / No Mobile Data / MMS Send Failing - On Android 7.0? – Support

Because the problem is caused by software controlled by Verizon, Verizon needs to patch it.  Is Verizon aware of this issue?  Given that I have been dealing with the issue for MONTHS, when can I expect the patch to be released so that I can receive the service I am paying for?

Labels (1)
Re: MMS Timeouts on Group Texting Due to Verizon Android 7.0 Bug
Bri7134
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue here. Any luck? Any idea what might be causing it? VZ has been incredibly unhelpful for nearly a year 

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Verizon doesn't completely control the software.

The phone manufacturer makes the software (and any updates). The only thing Verizon controls is what settings are allowed and what apps are included with the software (commonly called bloatware). They also control when you receive AFTER the phone manufacturer makes the software.

Group Me is a great app for group messages.

0 Likes
ljmccon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bri7134:  Nope, no luck, though I continue to try.  But yes, I know exactly what's causing it -- read the article to which I linked above in my original post for an explanation.  I've been in contact with Verizon on this since the beginning of September, chatting via Facebook Messenger.  Verizon customer service variously ignores me and/or talks in circles.  I'm getting nowhere, and I've been ignored for about a month now.  At one point, I got a customer service rep to call me and open a ticket regarding this issue...several days later, they told me they determined the cause of the problem was a weak signal in my area.  I live in LOS ANGELES.  And I've already told them EXACTLY WHAT IS CAUSING THIS (MULTIPLE TIMES).  It's unacceptable.

sprmankalel:  Yes, Samsung creates the software.  But it's Verizon's responsibility to adequately test said software to ensure it doesn't break the phones on its network.  Moreover, Verizon could offer relief by simply allowing us to revert the OS to a previous version that is unaffected by this bug.  And this issue is not app specific:  ANY texting app that relies on MMS and does group texting is affected.

VERIZON pushed software to our phones that broke them, so they're on the hook.  They need to either work with Samsung to create a patch (and they've had PLENTY of time to do that -- it's been MONTHS), or allow us to revert our OS to a previous version not affected by the bug.  (And they should allow that anyway for the interim while they develop the patch.)  If they aren't willing to do that, I'm owed a refund for the phone they broke.

WHERE ARE YOU ON THIS, VERIZON???

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung writes the code to prevent people from reverting to the previous version of the OS.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

ljmccon
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're referring to Samsung changing the bootloader?  True, it's a challenge to revert if Samsung changed the bootloader from the previous version of the OS -- but my understanding is that they did not in this last update.  But presuming for the sake of argument that they did, that doesn't absolve Verizon of their responsibility to fix the problem they created by pushing faulty software to my phone.

ACKNOWLEDGE THE PROBLEM AND FIX IT, VERIZON.  I really don't care how.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are going to blame Verizon Wireless, you should be also pushing Samsung just as equally if not more. Samsung writes the code not Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ljmccon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, very helpful, Ann.

Verizon pushed the faulty software to my phone.  That clearly puts the ball in their court.  If fixing it requires interfacing with Samsung, fine.  I DON'T CARE.  Just fix it.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Verizon can put more pressure on Samsung than I can.

And they have a responsibility to do just that.  Or compensate me for the phone they broke.  Period.

YOU CAN CHIME IN ANY TIME, VERIZON.  Let me know how you are going to resolve.

0 Likes