Lollipop Performance is Crappy
B_Eric
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone just got the Lollipop upgrade the other day. I have gotten familiar with most of the changes and haven't had any complaints until today. I came back to work, where I typically have 1 or 2 bars of cell signal strength in my office area. Now, with Lollipop, I have NO BARS of signal strength. The battery drained in about 6 hrs, trying to find signal. I was wondering why the phone was warm in my pocket.

I just spent the past hour reading complaints in various places on the internet because my Galaxy S4 isn't getting signal in places where it worked fine before the "upgrade". Something in the Lollipop upgrade destroyed the radio signal strength. Everyone is saying the same thing - "phone doesn't receive signal where it used to" and "battery dying fast because phone is looking for signal". it is not just phones. People are complaining about the problem with tablets, also. It's the new operating system.

Hey, Verizon and Google, THIS SUCKS !!!!!!!!!

FIX IT !!!!!!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Lollipop Performance is Crappy
n900mixalot
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did. You. Factory. Reset. You can fix it yourself by performing a factory reset after you back up all of your music and photos onto your SD card or computer.

People keep missing that. You HAVE to do a factory reset. The runtime is different, the filesystem needs to be refreshed, the cache needs to be cleared.

Snn5
Legend

I'd recommend a system cache clear first:

Turn off phone

Remove the battery and reinsert.

Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys

Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.

As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.

Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.

Press the Power button to select it.

Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.

Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.

Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.

Wait for your phone to reboot.

B_Eric
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will try both of these suggestions. However....

In many of the reports I read yesterday, people said they did clear cache and performed factory reset with no improvement.

Also, why are these requirements not communicated to users along with the Lollipop upgrade (really downgrade in my opinion)? Why should the user have to do such things to make the phone work properly? If a new updated/upgraded OS is pushed to the users, it should be an easy procedure, fully documented and communicated to those being required to use it. Even IF this fixes my problem, it does not address the crappy customer service associated with the push of this new OS. This is not being handled properly. Many people do not have the technical knowledge or aptitude to jump through these hoops or even do the research to discover that they need to do these things. They will be out there suffering with downgraded performance and totally ignorant of the solution. You will lose customers this way. My family has been with Verizon for many years and this is the crappiest treatment we have ever received.

Snn5
Legend

Because in theory, this is "supposed" to be easy.  However, for some, it is not.  So we have to find solutions.

B_Eric
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did the reset to factory defaults Sunday night. It appears as if that may have worked in this instance. Time will tell for sure. I still need to check my wife's phone and make sure that's working properly.

For those reading this who are having this issue, make sure you have EVERYTHING backed up. Don't just rely on the Verizon backup or your backups to Goodgle+ or Drive, etc. All that will do is back up photos, contacts and some of your settings.

Go into your directories and manually backup any documents you have - notes, memos, task lists, ringtones,music, etc. if you don't, they WILL disappear. It might even be beneficial to remove your sd card beforehand just to make sure you don't lose stuff on it. Here I am 2 days later and still trying to get things setup and arranged the way they were before the upgrade and factory reset. This really stinks. I think Verizon should refund my payment for this month to make up for the trouble they have caused. Of course they don't care. They haven't even responded to this thread yet.

Smiley Sad

B_Eric
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, here we are a week later.

My phone was only getting about 1/2 it's normal signal strength after the update. The factory default got the signal strength almost back to normal. But I Lost signal today and the phone (galaxy s4) refused to re-acquire when I got outside to a place with full signal. I had to power down and restart the phone to acquire signal.

That is just plain stupid.

As I just wrote in a reply on someone else's complaint, I personally believe the problem belongs to all 3 - Verizon, Samsung and Google.

Google wrote the new OS, so they should have made sure it would work properly.

Samsung should have made themselves available to Google for testing and Quality Assurance purposes.

But ESPECIALLY Verizon should have made sure that Google and Samsung had their stuff ready before forcing this new OS on us and should be reacting in a positive way to resolve this issue for their customers. Ultimately, Verizon takes our money, so Verizon should make sure we have a positive experience and get what we're paying for.

I am not a happy customer.

B33
Legend

As customers where with ya, Hang in there another update should come out shortly..

0 Likes
Jhahn01
Contributor - Level 1

What do you mean by shortly?

0 Likes