Re: LG G2 kitkat SEVERE battery drain and performace issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

aedinger,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am very sorry to hear of your troubles since updating your device to kit kat. There is no known issues with this problem currently. We definitely want to find out what could be the cause of this. Normally with any software update we suggest doing a factory reset. All information should be saved by either your google account and or your SD card. Here is the steps to completing the reset http://vz.to/1ijaOhZ. Please keep us updated if you see any changes.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
darlintxmomma
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went in and made the changes he recommended but had to turn location ON just to do it. Mine has been off the whole time too. I did stop the google now thing though. Also restarted the phone and finally got the cloud pw from verizon and I'm glad I waited to wipe my phone because only about half of my photos were backed up last night. I was about to lose a crap ton of them.

I still can't get my computer to install my phone drivers. Tried doing it from the LG website too and that was a no-go.

In the 5 minutes it took to get the pictures selected again, my phone lost 7% battery. That was before I began the upload.

This is for the birds.

0 Likes
darlintxmomma
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK...tried the factory data reset and it get me to the erase everything button, i click it and it pops up saying it will restart twice and i click ok and then nothing. it just stays on the page with the erase everything button. I've cycled thru it like 15 times. Kitkat is a real winner isn't it?

Going to try it the other way and see what happens.

ETA: using the power/vol down buttons worked. it's still in the process. crossing fingers my phone gets it's head screwed back on straight.

0 Likes
darlintxmomma
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK the factory reset did help. Not sure about battery life yet as it's still stuck right around the 30% mark.

But I can tell that the kitkat settings have taken effect on the color scheme for the icons and stuff so maybe it just didnt fully come thru correctly the first time around. We shall wait and see.

0 Likes
LindaRWells

Upgraded this morning. Now hotspot won't work, USB backup won't work... now spending 4 hours backing up to the cloud, then will do a hard reset, per advice of Verizon support. This is a real headache.

0 Likes
Sampson61

Similar. Mad as heck.

0 Likes
glenrob7

After update to KitKat I was having the same problems...SEVERE battery drain, SLOW performance, erratic behavior, etc.  Difficult to enter anything.  As per advice here tried setting location to battery save mode.  This turns off GPS queries apparently, which helped tremendously.  Possible that problem lies in GPS realm.  Phone seems to be charging normally now and also acts normally, although I have not had time to try everything.  Also I did a couple of normal shutdowns and restarts which may have helped stabilize the new OS.  Will continue to monitor this site and report further changes.   Thanks to all for advice and symptom reporting.  I hope VZ Support finds the actual problem and fixes.  Shame that this update got released without proper vetting.  Also, my battery life was excellent, going up to 3 days with light use, before the update.  Will let you know if that still holds.  If not I will be VERY disappointed and probably try to revert to Jelly Bean, as I see no significant advantage so far to KitKat.

0 Likes
cg379
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm also having SEVERE problems since the update.  At first the screen brightness was unstable and alarm clock working only sporadically.  Battery draining rapidly, tonight to 0 in no time and would only accept charge via USB connection, not from being plugged into the wall.  Phone is very warm at times.  Texts wouldn't send last night, using stock software.  Screen hangs when button is pressed except for Home button. When went to search in Google, wouldn't bring up keyboard so I could type in what to search for.  Turned off location at the beginning of this and Verizon customer service took out and put back in Sim card.  Did not help with touch screen problems as predicted.  Battery draining is getting worse, not better.  Have rebooted several times, but tonight the phone would just turn off immediately as soon as I tried to turn it on as it didn't have enough power to be on at all until I plugged it into computer after it wouldn't take charge from the wall.  This is ridiculous.  I bought this phone at Best Buy.  They say Verizon handles returns of defective phones.  The girl at Verizon store said no, it has to go back under Best Buy warranty.  Who is supposed to handle the return of this defective phone?  I'm very tired of having to fuss with it.  I shouldn't have to run a phone I paid $200 for on Battery Saver - that is not acceptable performance.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could try to transfer the pictures and other information you want backed up via wifi to your computer. ES file explorer app has the option.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mbanks21
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the same boat. Since the "update" my battery drains way too fast. It's only 8:30am here and I havent used the phone at all and it's down to 70% life left. The phone is slow and sluggish. If I hit the "home" button it could take up to 4-5 seconds to respond. Typing sucks, all the apps are slow. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO RESET MY PHONE (and possibly lose hundres of pictures and vidoes) to get it to work. Someone needs to work on this ASAP!

0 Likes