LG Ally help
Texasrose

I'm new here and new to smartphones so I need some help with my new Ally.  Basically I'm no techno genius but thought it was time to update from a 3 yr. old Samsung that never  gave me any problems.  I bought the Ally a week ago and it was really pretty easy to figure out, even for me, and I really like(d) it.  Last night I plugged it in to charge it and showed it was completely charged before I went to bed so I unplugged it.  When I got up this morning I tried to use it and couldn't get it to come on.  So I plugged it into the charger again to see if it would come on that way and it showed that  it was completely discharged.  So, do I have a bad phone, or does it have a bad battery, or what?  I also want to know, if I take this phone back because it's defective, will they give me a refurbished one?  If so, I won't be happy at all because I don't think I should get stuck with a refurbished phone after having a brand new one for just a week.  Thanks for any help you can give me!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Ally help
cthunder067
Contributor - Level 1

Personally, I would take it back it sounds like you may have bad battery. Also with the Ally just coming out I doubt you would get a refurbished phone.

0 Likes
LG_Pro
Contributor - Level 2

Initially mine did the same thing...  But I'm happy to say it's okay now.  I think there are two things possibly happening.  The first is that it seems to take a couple of charges before it learns the battery capacity. The Ally actually has a very powerful battery at 1500mAh.  A Smart Phone, like the Ally, Will NOT have the Battery life of a standard phone because it does so much more and can do multiple things at once, even when the screen is off.  You should be seeing a full day on a Charge, depending on what you do with it.  I run applications, surf the Web and watch videos on mine and I'm usually down to about 50% by the time I go to bed, so I just throw it on the charger. 

The second thing is learning how to mange applications on an Android Phone.  When I initally set mine up I turned everything on, all of the Bells and whistles and installad applications that all utilized WiFi and GPS so all of these apps were constantly pounding on the Ally.  SO my initial Battery Life was not great.  One of the beatuties of the Android operating system is that it does mutitasking really well...  But this can also be an issue if you're not careful because unlike astandard phones it's not sitting idle, it's processing data for applications you have running, like "Live Wall Papers", and Or WeatherBug, or other Apps that have been told to continually check you position with the GPS...  I think you will really like it if you give it a chance...

It's a matter of needs and preferences, Personnaly I couldn't live with out it... LOL

Let me know what you decide and  if you have any other questions.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Texasrose

Thank you for your replies!  I'm happy to say that it hasn't done that again and I've decided to keep it (unless it keeps happening).  I have to say that so far I'm very pleased with the Ally.  Basically I'm a "techno idiot" but have been able to figure this thing out pretty well- mostly with alot of playing with it.  But, pardon what may be some really dumb questions, but I keep reading on here about it being recommended that people turn off the apps and your battery will last alot longer.  Exactly how do you know what's running all the time and how do you turn the ones off you're not using?  I've also noticed on the market that alot of the apps say that they won't let your phone sleep- I guess that means the battery won't last very long?

0 Likes
LG_Pro
Contributor - Level 2

Texasrose wrote:

Thank you for your replies!  I'm happy to say that it hasn't done that again and I've decided to keep it (unless it keeps happening).  I have to say that so far I'm very pleased with the Ally.  Basically I'm a "techno idiot" but have been able to figure this thing out pretty well- mostly with alot of playing with it.  But, pardon what may be some really dumb questions, but I keep reading on here about it being recommended that people turn off the apps and your battery will last alot longer.  Exactly how do you know what's running all the time and how do you turn the ones off you're not using?  I've also noticed on the market that alot of the apps say that they won't let your phone sleep- I guess that means the battery won't last very long?

Viewing running Applications and processes and also killing unused apps can be done with applications like  "memory Task Cleaner" which allows you to end the Tasks you want or all of them... 

Check the settings on your installed apps and make sure they are not set to be overly agressive as far as GPS and Back Ground updates.  You don't have to loose the fun stuff, just make sure it's set to a reasonable level.  I had WeatherBug Elite installed and I had the Back Ground updates turned on to check the weather every few minutes and I had the GPS set to check my location and provide weather for that location and I was using the Animated Radar maps and allowing it to check and update in the back ground.   So I finally realized it was killing my battery life so I set the Weather updates to every hour,  Don't Track my Location, Limited my use of the Animated Radar, and turned the GPS off altogether...  You turn any of these back on as you REALLY need them.

Unless you have aspecifice need to have the display on ALL the time, I wouldn't install any of the apps that prevent sleep...  Yes they will drain your battery quicker.

0 Likes
lyndarva

I started turning my phone off at night.  I have never done that before, but it does help.  Also, since I stopped using my Wifi connection, it seems that the battery lasts longer.

0 Likes