If I update my Eris to 2.1...
selane

What happens when (if) the OTA for 2.1 comes out? Will my phone recognize/download/apply/etc the OTA?

Also, and pardon me for asking if it has been answered before, but does installing the leaked 2.1 have any impact on phone warranty or support from Verizon?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: If I update my Eris to 2.1...
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

selane wrote:

What happens when (if) the OTA for 2.1 comes out? Will my phone recognize/download/apply/etc the OTA?

Also, and pardon me for asking if it has been answered before, but does installing the leaked 2.1 have any impact on phone warranty or support from Verizon?

Thank you!

if the OTA finally happens, the screen should display the installation instructions. it involves hitting eleven buttons at the same time i think :smileytongue:

it should not void your warranty but keep in mind, there is a reason why that leaked version is not considered the final version.  it is because there are still bugs associated with it.  if there were no bugs then they would have released it as an official update.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2
I don't think anyone actually knows the answer to whether or not your phone will get the OTA once it arrives if you've already installed the leaked version. Only time will tell. As for warranty, I think if you needed warranty service on your phone and Big Red saw that you had installed the leaked 2.1, they might take issue with it, and could conceivably (and justifiably) deny warranty service. That's why I installed it on my wife's Eris and not mine. I have a warranty, she does not, so there's no warranty to void on hers. But 2.1 sure is sweet.
0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
The OTA isn't for sure, but because from what I read the phone isn't being rooted in any way it should be fine with the OTA update. There is of course the chance that the OTA is for 1.5 to 2.1 and in this case it could cause a huge headache. That really depends on how the push the update itself and that remains to be seen. You WILL NOT be able to get support for the leaked version on the phone, and I haven't read that there is a way to restore the original 1.5 back in after the 2.1 leaked upgrade has been done. I'm not positive on the voiding warranty for sure. I used different roms on my windows mobile phone and they still looked at it and supported me, when the bluetooth was acting up. I was able to put it back to the original supported rom to make sure the problem still existed with the original setup though. You don't ge tthe option in the Eris at this time. Not sure if you will later though either.
0 Likes