How to upload content to Notebook app?
Orthoducks

I've got a list on my computer that I want to be able to view and edit on my phone (an LG G2). It's currently stored as a Microsoft Word file, but I could convert it to plain text without losing a lot of data. If I edit the file on the phone I need to be able to move it back to the computer and view and edit it there (not necessarily with Word).

It seems to me that the built-in Notebook app is the natural tool for managing this file, but I can't find any instructions for moving the data from the computer to the phone (or for moving it back in usable form). I see that I can back up a Notebook file on the computer, but I apparently can't do anything with it once I've backed it up, except restore it to the phone.

What's the missing link here? Is there a way to do what I want with Notebook, or will I have to find a different app?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to upload content to Notebook app?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered uploading the file to Google Drive and have the ability to access and edit from both devices?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Orthoducks

>Have you considered uploading the file to Google Drive...?

No, actually. I'm not familiar enough with Android to have a feel for how well that would work, but it strikes me as a "digging under the fence" strategy. (The reference is to a dog that digs under the fence instead of looking the gate that swings open -- pursuing an elaborate, inefficient solution when a simple, effective one is not immediately found.)

In any case I have very little trust in Google. Even though there's nothing particularly sensitive in this file, I'd be reluctant to put it in their control.

Google Drive could be a solution, and I appreciate the suggestion, but it's not the first thing I'd want to try.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have a file and you want access from your computer and your phone to edit this file.  The file needs to be stored in the "cloud" - in a location accessible to both devices, and not locally on either device, since that would make it inaccessible to the other.

There are several "apps" or storage options that you can access from both your computer and your phone - Google drive is one, others are Evernote, Dropbox, Cubby, Skydrive ... 

The other option is to email the file to yourself - edit on the phone and email it back to pick up on the computer.  This strikes me as more of the "digging under the fence" than using cloud storage.  I'm not familiar with Notebook, but your description of  "I can back up a Notebook file on the computer, but I apparently can't do anything with it once I've backed it up, except restore it to the phone." sounds to me like it is storing the file in a place accessible to both the computer and the phone app ... can you edit it on the phone in the Notebook app?

0 Likes