How do you disable Android OTA System Updates?
IJG

Hi,

I just got a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I am getting prompted to install an update for Android security patches and stuff. I don't like to do these updates because in the past whenever I do an update for an Android phone everything starts to go wrong. I also heard from a friend who installed this same update that said they started having problems.

I went into Settings > Applications > Application Manager > More > Show System Apps > System Updates (The one with the Android Symbol and red spinning arrow). I can force stop the application and the icon in the status bar goes away but comes back in a second. I can't disable the status bar notification in the settings for notifications. Also under battery usage for this specific app it says it used 25% battery on this charge. If that is the case, this app must go because that is crazy if this one stupid system update app is using 1/4 of my battery. That explains why my battery is dead by 3:00.

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do you disable Android OTA System Updates?
IJG

Here is a screenshot of what I found.

Screenshot_20160629-003708.png

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It would be best if you just installed the update.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Klue
Master - Level 1

I have installed all three update to this phone without problems. I also checked the menu drill down your posted and my battery usage is 8%, probably because there are no updates available for my phone so I'm not getting notifications.  If you don't install the updates yourself then the update will eventually install itself.