How do I unlock my old Galaxy S3 now that it is legal?
lawizard50

I have an old Samsung Galaxy S3 that I want to unlock so that a friend can use it with Straight Talk.  I've since upgraded to a Note 3 and love it.  Where do I get a code?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I unlock my old Galaxy S3 now that it is legal?
M9
Contributor - Level 1

I second that question anyone know?

0 Likes
M9
Contributor - Level 1

As an old retired GI I have a lot of friends in Europe. One of them wants my old S3 (mainly because its white of all reasons). I'd like to give it to her, but only if it will work in Slovakia.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Although President Obama signed it into law, it does not actually take affect yet.

President Obama signs bill making it once again legal to unlock cell phones

Obama signs bill "unlocking" cell phones - CBS News

Read how it may just be temporary.

Good Luck

0 Likes
M9
Contributor - Level 1

They should automatically unlock once the contact is over.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I thought the Galaxy S3 with the latest software version was already SIM unlocked and global ready. I believe there was an update after the release of the phone to add full global ready capabilities to the Galaxy S3.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
M9
Contributor - Level 1

Could be. I have heard it will overseas on gsm 4 voice but not on data.

Sent from my HTC One max on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network

0 Likes
Not applicable

In that first link that unlocking after contract is mentioned.

It also states cell carriers normally unlock for their customers without a law.

However you and I both know that would be a false assumption.

In the deal with the FCC and Mr. Wheeler they stated they would unlock voluntarily partially and fully in two years. Now with a signed law what do you think the carriers will do? That's right deny the requests.

My neighbor has a Sprint iPhone and he went to the Sprint Store not the reseller and told them to unlock his device. Before the law was signed. Sprint said "Their policy is not to unlock any of their iphones" they even went so far as to say even if it was unlocked it cannot work on any US carrier because its proprietary only to Sprint.

So just what good is a law if it does not allow functionality on other carriers?

Good Luck

0 Likes
Not applicable

even if unlocked Straight Talk does not allow Verizon 4G phones on their service. Only 3G Verizon smartphones are allowed on Straight Talk.

0 Likes
PhoenixRising

Leak Unlock Code Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Note 3, S3 and S4!

Samsung Galaxy smartphone users can now escape the clutches of their carriers. A sequence of codes has been leaked online and it will unlock every Samsung Galaxy devices out there.

The list includes the Galaxy Note 2, Note 3, S3 and the S4. It is the ultimate prize of freedom for these devices. Unlocking a smartphone will surely increase its value when re-selling it or even makes changing telcos hassle-free.

To unlock your Samsung smartphone, simply follow the instructions below.

1: Insert a new SIM card into your Galaxy Note 2 or Galaxy S4.

2: Turn off your device then turn it back on again.

3: Head to the dialpad and enter in *#197328640#.

4: Choose [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3] Perso SHA256 OFF.

5: Wait for 30 seconds or so before heading back into the main menu by choosing “back”.

6: In your main menu, you’ll see “Network Lock”, so now choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ

By now, your device should be unlocked and good to go. Those who have yet to unlock their Samsung device, they should act fast as a simple update will deem the smartphone useless.

Goodluck!

PhoenixRising.

0 Likes