Having trouble with Droid Maxx and Wifi?
Stuffie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have seen a few questions and concerns in regards to the Droid Maxx and the WiFi connection (of lack there of). I have also seen where someone has called in to Verizon, and spent several hours on the phone over a few days trying to get them to help and fix the problem. I am offering a hopeful fix for those out there who have had this SAME ANNOYING problem. **Please let it be known, that this is not a 100% fix as it has been less than 10 mins for my "fix" but given how the previous several mins has gone I am hopeful**

So here is the problem... My brother has a Droid Maxx, he is mentally disabled and does not know much about phones, and the only reason we got him the phone was for us to be able to call him, he does work, and is outside most of the day. He has further health issues that make me worry about him during the hotter months. So phone it is. ANYWAY. He has come to me several days in a row complaining he can not get on the WiFi. I look at it and he is connected to our printer... LOT of good that will do. There are SEVERAL other WiFi's in the area and the phone can see those no problem. Even connect to them. I look at my phone (Droid Turbo, its connected, look at my laptop, its connected). Ok, restart router, restart the phone. NOTHING. >.< ok.. Wait for the in house tech to get home maybe he can threaten the phone and make it work. He tends to go about his business the rest of the evening, even into the next evening when he has tried repeatedly to connect and brings the phone to me. This has gone on exactly like I typed out for nearly a week at this point. (Has happened before but this was the straw). So. I googled. Found the above stated complains. I also found "debugging" hummm... I try connecting it to my laptop. OOO this might do SOMETHING. I get a debugging report sent out to my email. Not gonna lie I did not understand anything other than a bunch of numbers and letters. I do not remember how I came across it, but I downloaded "Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant" Inside this cute thing was the choice to be able to "REPAIR" the device, you can bet your butt I clicked on it. It has gone through that repair, rebooted, found my WiFi, and completed updates. All while STILL CONNECTED!!!!!!!!! I am super excited. I just checked it is still connected. I do not know how long this will last but given the previous "HELP" that has been given out by random people, I am sure repairing your device can not hurt.

However, if someone out there can come up with a better more surefire way to fix this problem I encourage you to reply to my post. I look forward to those. With all best wishes, annoyed Stuffie!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Having trouble with Droid Maxx and Wifi?
Stuffie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just  an update. After handing the phone back to him and going to sleep. It is still connected to the WiFi. It has been 12 hours of no problems. 🙂

0 Likes
Stuffie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm am sorry to report. This did not work. It lost the WiFi.... 😞 sad panda.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to always get the most from your phone & the available wifi network. Lets dig deeper to get to the bottom of this. The software repair assistant is an excellent tool and I am very glad you were able to use it. Let's look at this from another point of view, when the connection was lost, how far from the router was the phone? Is the phone software completely up to date?
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Stuffie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Within 10 feet. The router sits on a shelf at one side of the desk, he normally sits at the other end of the desk about 10 feet away. (Yes LOOOONG desk, it is also a custom desk) And this is a moot point. As I am on my laptop in my room more than 30 feet away, and it is fine. With the other laptop and three tablets that are next to me have no problem staying connected to the WiFi. The WiFi here even works outside next to my car, at the mail box or in the back yard cutting grass. If you are suggesting it is a problem with our router please try again. I have contacted someone else in my family that has the SAME phone with the SAME problem. I feel after reading SEVERAL post in regards to this phone, its the phone. It is a hardware problem with the PHONE. Nothing YOU (as Verizon) can do. I have thought about bringing the phone into a store to see if a tech can fix this problem. However, I do not feel that will be worth the trip unless we get a completely different flavor of phone.

However! If you have a magic update, or can come up with something out of your hat that can fix my problem as well as EVERYONE else's PLEASE PLEASE!!!!! With a cherry on top tell me!

Thank you for your time!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for all the work you have done so far Stuffie, you have done a great job troubleshooting. I am also sad to learn the software repair assistant only temporarily fixed the problem. Connecting to WiFi is important so let's continue to look for a resolution. Have you tried to put the device into Safe Mode to see if you can duplicate the issue? Here are the steps to put the phone into Safe Mode http://bit.ly/23i3hvj 

Once the device is in Safe Mode please try to connect to Wifi and see if the connection stays.  If it does, it means that one of the third party apps on the phone is interfering with the software and WiFi connection and we can resolve the issue by removing the apps from the device and adding them back slowly to isolate the problem app.  Please keep us posted, we’re here for you.

KrystelH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Stuffie
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is a better idea than saying its my WiFi. However, after completing this "Safe Mood" idea the phone was able to see one of the WiFi signals of the three that is in the house. I tried forcing it to connect to the Main WiFi. It will not even do that. It will not see the Signal. This is a signal that was not previously seen. This device has done this same thing over and over. The signal that it sees from the printer mentioned above is even as I type coming and going. With out provocation.

AND it just lost that signal. Lost everything down to the printer. Ideas?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Stuffie-

Getting your Wi-Fi connection back on the yellow brick road is the goal.  I rely on my Wi-Fi connection daily to ensure my kids don't go over our data usage.  Does the same issue occur with public Wi-Fi connections when you're not at home?

EmmaMM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Coatman

I am following this post because I have had the same issue for many months now and it is very frustrating. I have done the complete reset of the device and slowing adding back apps but still doesnt connect to my home wifi.

Recently it was connecting to Xfinity/Comcast hotspot. But this has stopped now. It recognizes wifi access points all around me.

0 Likes
Stuffie
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ Verizon Wireless Customer Support - I have not taken the phone away from him long enough to test this theory. But, I have stated that even the neighbors WiFi dips in and out. Not just my WiFi. I will try ASAP and see if it continues, or if for whatever reason it may just be our WiFi.

@ Coatman - We have Charter internet (Now known as Spectrum). We have good enough internet that my husband has run business grade servers off it. I agree 100% it is frustrating. I thought the tool I found would have helped. The apps that are on the phone are nearly basic. The only apps that where downloaded AFTER factory start up are Facebook and the messenger app and "I Heart Radio". I have mentioned my brothers mental changes above, so more apps than necessary tend to be just something to distract him. This is also why I was apprehensive about just saying it was a 3rd party app. I stand by that this is a hardware problem with the phone.

Thank you both for your input! I hope that we can get this fixed ASAP!

0 Likes