HTC U11 CDMA-Less Provisioning / BYOD/LTE-Only Severe Network/SMS Issues
deafmetal

I have had SERIOUS issues since the 2.31.617.2 Oreo update.  I'm an early HTC U11 adopter, the phone worked fine (albeit only LTE Band 13) from June 2017 until Oreo in late November.  Since then, my HTC U11 loses network connectivity and SMS send capability, in addition to severe Wifi instability.

Tier 2 has not been able to resolve these issues and doesn't have the HTC U11 on hand when working through troubleshooting.  How can they effectively work issues without being familiar with the phone or LTE-only network provisioning?  They were also not familiar with the SMSC # and SMS messaging/provisioning process (which is different than MMS and regular data like web browsing).

In my case, I also lose all network connectivity multiple times throughout the day.  The only "fix" is rebooting, then cycling the radio via airplane mode.  I never lose HD Voice/data, SMS receipt, MMS send/receipt as long as I have LTE/network connectivity.  But SMS send is still a no-go and Wifi connectivity is also HORRENDOUS now as well (straight up U11 issue... not a router issue).

Have RUU'd multiple times, to include the latest 2.42.617.1 update.  Each time, it restores full functionality for <= 24 hrs.  But within that <=24 hr timeframe, the network "catches up" to the phone and I lose stability and SMS send.

I have also noticed that the Oreo update caused my U11 to utilize LTE Bands 2 and 4 now, in addition to 13.  You'd think that's good right?  Well my network disco'/loss seems to only occur when my phone is connected to Bands 2 or 4 and screen off.

No changes in the *#*#4636#*#* menu fix any of these issues.  Verified the correct SMSC # and APN are being used.  It's not the SIM card, it works perfectly in my old LG G5 (all functionality, to include SMS).

I've asked Tier 2 to remove "CDMA-less provisioning" to see if that made a difference.  They stated it is automatically attached to BYOD LTE-only devices, especially the U11.  But eventually they "were able" to remove it and it supposedly didn't help (I can't verify it was ever truly removed).

Have even gone so far as:

1. Remove SIM, factory reset, power down U11.
  2. Remove HD Calling from my account
  3. Factory reset my old LG G5 (which is the original LTE nano SIM donator when I first activated my U11)
  4. Got a new SIM and activated the G5, re-added Advanced/HD Calling and verified working.
  5. Powered down G5, and put SIM into U11, powered up and activated U11 + HD Calling, verified all HD Calling and SMS services worked every hour until I went to sleep.
  6. Lost network stability and SMS send again in roughly 12 hrs.

Contacted HTC, they're very gracious, but point to VZW BYOD LTE-only network configuration.  And do not provide any specifics to provide Tier 2 techs on how to troubleshoot/resolve this issue.  VZW points to HTC and says the device isn't compatible with their network.

So the temporary "fixes" are:

1. Use a data messaging app such as Facebook Messenger or send messages to a group (such as recipient and yourself) which get converted to MMS and go through.
  2. Reboot multiple times a day and cycle the radio via airplane mode to restore network connectivity.
  3. Cycle Wifi MANY MANY MANY times throughout the day to restore 5 ghz connectivity.

Since the radio/SMS works fine after RUU for <= 24hrs or a new SIM card from another LTE Advanced Calling capable phone, I'm convinced that the VZW network CDMA-less provisioning eventually catches up to the U11 and causes corruption/instability/these issues.

Regardless of the finger-pointing and policy/political (BYOD program, HTC FCC/VZW certification, etc..) sensitivities, there is a TECHNICAL REASON these issues persist, and the vast majority of effort should be spent hunting down the TECHNICAL ISSUES and getting smart on the phone and/or network. Most VZW personnel have never heard of the HTC U11.  That the phone IS AUTHORIZED -AND- SUPPORTED (to a limited degree) on the network boggles my mind that personnel don't get smarter on it, and other BYOD like it.

A little homework and responses based on fact/policy/scientific method as opposed to opinion, go a long way towards answers.  I'm doing my homework and troubleshooting everything possible,... we shouldn't be smarter than the product/service providers who should equally be getting smart, if not smarter on the issues and fixing them instead of pointing fingers.

In the meantime, can we get an HTC U11 radio/provisioning fix in the next OTA please???  Thanks for reading.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC U11 CDMA-Less Provisioning / BYOD/LTE-Only Severe Network/SMS Issues
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi deafmetal,

Thank you for reporting your experience on the U11. HTC will be reaching out to you soon to assist. Please report back if you continue to encounter issues or to let us know that the problem was resolved.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

This was a Sprint phone, (or unlocked) so you won’t get any OTA updates and no help from Verizon on a BYO phone.

I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you....

0 Likes
deafmetal

Your response isn't even relevant nor technically helpful... .

Has nothing to do with Sprint, it DOES receive OTA from VZW, the Oreo OTA and RUU simply corrupt my radio.

VZW please delete this useless post.

0 Likes
deafmetal

Back on topic.  Was able to roll back to Nougat 7.1 (1.28.617.30) and everything works as it should. If I take the OTA, which is the first Oreo implementation (2.31.617.2), the network instability, wifi instability and SMS issue returns.  So I've rolled back to Nougat and intend to stay there until resolved.

Cheers

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

deafmetal wrote:

Your response isn't even relevant nor technically helpful...

Has nothing to do with Sprint, it DOES receive OTA from VZW, the Oreo OTA and RUU simply corrupt my radio.

VZW please delete this useless post.

Where did you get the idea that VZW sent out an update?

You either have a Sprint or Unlocked version of the phone.  All updates comes from HTC.  To verify this you can buy the same phone and don't put a sim in it and watch you get the exact same update.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I think you missed the point.  Your phone will never get any OTA updates from Verizon because it is not a Verizon phone.  Also asking for some sort of improvement so your phone will work better is not going to happen.    

0 Likes
deafmetal

@ mama,  My sincere apologies for taking your post the wrong way and responding poorly.  Tried to get it removed, no dice. 

@ Tidbit, copy update from HTC not OTA via VZW.  If true, I don't think many are aware of it being done that way.  Don't they have to be certified by VZW before release?  Thanks for heads up.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

deafmetal wrote:

@ mama, My sincere apologies for taking your post the wrong way and responding poorly. Tried to get it removed, no dice.

@ Tidbit, copy update from HTC not OTA via VZW. If true, I don't think many are aware of it being done that way. Don't they have to be certified by VZW before release? Thanks for heads up.

Like with ANY product it could pass testing but some devices it may not work well with.  Not all devices are the same even if they have the same name.  The difference of solder amount can affect things even if it is within tolerances.

The update may not have worked well for your device but is working for other people just fine.  Best to report the problems to HTC and have them look into it.  If you are an HTC fan I suggest getting into elevate and bring it up there.  I am unsure if they started enrollment again.

HTC elevate - Home

Tsabob033

Did you have to root and or factory reset your phone to roll back to Nougat?

I am also experiencing the inability to send SMS and cannot connect to 5ghz wifi networks.

I can make and answer calls, I can receive SMS, and I can send and receive MMS.  Can't send SMS unless I use the Verizon Messages+ app and I am on a WiFI connection.  Will not work if I am off WiFi.

I'd like to roll back as well, but don't want to go through the process of backing up everything yet again and reinstalling it all yet again simply because something gets updated and Verizon seems to shrug their shoulders every time.

I also want to point out that I did not have any these issues until Monday night.  I am guessing, as you put it, the network caught up with my phone and that was all she wrote.  Able to send a text one minute, next I can't and I notice that I am no longer on my home 5ghz WiFI connection.

0 Likes