HOT PHONE
jnutsch

Why does. My s4 get so hot that I  can't even touch it. I just got a replacement  phone. This is the 4th phone I have  had I think I am going to get rid of  version all together

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HOT PHONE
Abc122
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you using the charging cord that it came with? If you don't use the cord it came with, it can make the phone overheat.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
jnutsch I am sorry to hear of the trouble with your phone! It seems strange that each phone has had this problem. Abc122 makes a good point about the charger. I also wanted to ask if you have tried another battery? Are you using the same apps on this phone as you have used on your previous phones?
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

There could be many reasons why this is happening.

In general, a phone gets hot (when not charging) if it's doing something that is heavily communications intensive, i.e. using one of the radios (Cellular or WiFi, perhaps BT but not usually). One of the radios could be moving lots of data.

It's possible your phone is trying to re-sync a lot of content from one of the clouds (Verizon Cloud or Google - Drive), or re-downloading / updating a lot of apps (in Google PlayStore, I think I've chosen that this must be manual). I have both cloud services disabled. I back my own content up on a PC. I don't leave it to other programs to consume compute cycles and radio bandwidth.

Your phone could be attempting to disconnect and re-connect to a stronger WiFi access point and is constantly scanning for a stonger WiFi access point.

1). Go into Settings and Under WiFi, select Menu. Go to Advanced WiFi and disable Smart Switch. Also disable anything associated with Avoid bad WiFi connections. Deselect Allow WiFi scanning. You could select, keep WiFi on when screen is off.

2). Exit Settings. Go back into Settings. This time, select Data Usage. Select Menu. Select Show WiFi Usage. Exit out of Settings. Now when you go into Settings ! Data Usage in the future, you should see two tabs. One for Mobile, and one for WiFi. Select one of the tabs and scroll down. This will show you the programs that are using either the Cellular/Mobile radio, or the WiFi radio in the phone. Attempt to determine what program is consuming so much bandwidth.

Reboot your phone.

The next time you feel your device heating up, use the Settings | Battery to see what is using a lot of your phone's compute and battery power. Use the Settings | WiFi to see what is consuming a lot of radio bandwidth.

Other people have reported FB Messenger is consuming a lot of bandwidth. Or possibly the camera application.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes