Google Nexus 6 GPE on Verizon?
josheby
Enthusiast - Level 1

The Google Nexus 6 is supposed to have radios to support Verizon.  Will Verizon allow me to activate the Google Play Edition of the phone on their network?

I want the straight Google experience and Google updates.  Any help is apprecited.  I am hoping I am not going to have to switch providers.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Google Nexus 6 GPE on Verizon?
Not applicable

Where do you see that the CPE version has CDMA radios in it?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no "Google Play Edition" (GPE) for the Nexus 6 phone.

There is only one SKU for North America and includes the CDMA radios for Verizon Wireless. http://www.google.com/nexus/6/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
josheby
Enthusiast - Level 1

There is supposed to be an unlocked version of the phone from Google Play.  It will have all of the radios for the major US carriers.  I am guessing it will also be 100% stock Android and get updates direct from Google... wouldn't that be considered a Google Play Edition?

My question is will Verizon activate it or am I going to have to but the phone from Verizon?

I just want a the phone with stock android and updates from Google...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No. A Nexus is a developers phone first and foremost but they won't stop people from buying them. Prior to the name change they used to call they ADP devices and you needed a developer account to purchase.

A GPE is production devices updated by Google, but still need helps from manufacturers for things like the Dot View case, IR blaster, and dual camera for HTC One GPE.

0 Likes
josheby
Enthusiast - Level 1

That makes sense.  Guess I didn't understand that totally.

Is the Nexus 6 that will be sold by Verizon be 100% stock Android?  Will it get updates from Google as soon as they are release?

Secondly, if I buy an unlocked phone from Google Play once it is availabe, will I be able to activate it on Verizon?

Thanks everyone!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

In a developer standpoint. The Nexus is not pure Android. Pure Android doesn't have Google services(See AOSP or Android Open Source Project). That's why I don't like the term "pure" or stock Android.

It is the closest to stock you can purchase.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

We assume it would be able to activate it from the Play Store. There is no price difference other than the 64GB which people assume they are not going to be sold by carrier. So there is no difference buying it from Verizon or Google Play unless you wanted the 64GB model. Your best bet is to ask Google and how they have it set up. Low level reps on carriers will not know. Carriers are more than likely on a NDA to keep their mouth shut.

josheby
Enthusiast - Level 1

The other difference would be that it is unlocked correct?  I am assuming the one sold by Verizon will be locked...

What route would you recommend for asking Google?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe? Nexus Help

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.