General Tethering Confusion
cande232

Hi! I'm away from my house this week and discovered the tethering abilities of my smartphone.

All of the information I can find on it online is over a year old or not helpful enough so I can understand what is actually going on. I am already able to use tethering but I do not want to go over my data usage. So I have a couple questions:

1) Under the Share Everything plans, do I have extra data just for tethering?

2) How is my tethering monitored and when will it show up in the My Verizon Mobile app? My Galaxy S4 monitors data usage on its own and says I have used 2.44GB of tethering. However, my data on the My Verizon Mobile app is around only .8GB. Some sources tell me there is 2GB of tethering provided with some Verizon plans, which means the .44GB of tethering should be applied to my .8GB of data already used.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: General Tethering Confusion
Not applicable

No.   Your mobile data plan is, what it is, tethering allows you to use your data for other devices.

You don't get extra.

monitor your use online with your Verizon App.  it is not unusual for the online information to be behind.

0 Likes
cande232

But how far behind? I'm starting to talk days of tethering now, meanwhile the .8GB is accurate to today.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the data usage graphic on the phone use the same billing cycle dates to the reset as what is on your bill?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
cande232

Yes.

To clarify:

My phone, Galaxy S4, says I have used 3.44GB of tethering. None of this, however, seems to be applied to my actual data. Unless Verizon applies it all at the end of the cycle or calculates it far differently than my phone, I have no idea what is really going on with my tethered data usage and that's why I'm confused.

My Verizon Mobile app has since updated and still only reflects a minor increase in data usage (.87GB)

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you open settings, then select mobile data, then move the sliders to encompass the dates you choose.   I suggest an entire month.

This will show data used on the device, it may or may not include tethered data.

IT is possible Verizon hasn't registered your tethered use, they may never, or it may register much later.  It's a good idea to keep track for your sake as All carriers don't seem to accurately record data use.

YOur mobile App, may only show usage for your phone.  Look at total account use.  Look at what they are measuring in - KB, MB, or GB.

AS long as the goofs are in your favor, consider it a gift.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cande232,

That you for the details. We do not want you to be confused. I thank you for actively monitoring your data usage. The actually data usage that shows in the device settings will not provide you an accurate use of data in regards to the VZW calculations of the data. While I will say that this is a huge difference between what the device shows and My Verizon shows the best way to monitor the data is via My Verizon.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes