Re: Gallery App is Malware?
Snn5
Legend

There is no malware.  That's the point.  The error/notification/pop up is only a Verizon advertisement.  I said, "Nevermind what I have been saying" because, despite the answer being right there, several times in the thread, no one had bothered to read it.  LOL.  Verizon wants you to pay for the full protection.  The free version is a placebo.  The error you see is an error in Verizon's app leading to the advertisement itself.

h20745
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello again. I appreciate your response. There is no Popup or "advertisement" going on what what I can tell. There is nothing whatsoever that would indicate it is an advertisement--not even a passive one. There is no service or application to pay for and no links to an advertisement. Verizon has never offered to pay for full protection. It is possible that a Verizon service app "advertisement" may have been the source for prior issues or popups, but nothing about this current threat suggests it is simply an advertisement. When I click it says the following: 

###

This app is malware, and it can:

Replicate itself without your knowledge or permission.

Hijack your device and control it remotely.

Damage your device and data or steal your personal information.

Monitor your device and observe your activities.

Take advantage of your device's vulnerabilities to access and use your data.

Send junk messages or emails from your device.

Direct you to a fake website to get your account information.

###

Again, this does not sound like an advertisement to me, and if it is, then Verizon should put out a notice explaining this. However, from what I read on this thread and elsewhere is that the possible issue is a glitch with the recent Verizon update performed on September 8, 2015. That is when I began having the security issue. But no one knows for sure the source of the problem. I have also had other strange things happen which lead me to believe there is malware.

According to others on this list and others, Verizon is aware there is a problem. Until Verizon says it is just a harmless advertisement (and again, there is nothing to indicate it is an ad), I must assume the security "threat" from the malware is real.

Snn5
Legend

Best of luck.  I dealt with that "malware" issue many times on 3 of my past 4 phones.  It only ceased when I disabled the pre-installed app.  I only speak from experience.  And, an advertisement can be a notice other than a banner with a price tag.  Instead of advertisement, maybe I should rephrase and call it a "paranoia-inducer" meant to have the basic version users upgrade to the Total Mobile Protection package that includes the full version of the Verizon Protection app.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

h20745, this issue would concern me as well. I can advise that there isn't an actual malware threat and that the error message you are receiving is a direct result of the latest software update and is being investigated by Samsung in order to push out a fix via a future software update. Per our internal forums, some customers have had luck with eliminating that message by opening Verizon Support and Protection, going to the Security tab (Default) and tapping the "Scan for Viruses" button to complete the scan and then disabling the Verizon Support and Protection application after the scan has been completed.

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Pink131980
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an odd update. I disabled VZ Protect and installed Malwarebytes on Sunday. I scanned and found no viruses or malware. Unfortunately, today I noticed that my phone was losing battery very quickly. I uninstalled Malwarebytes and reenabled VZ protect. I had to reboot my phone about 3 times for the updates to take effect and allow VZ protect to scan my phone, which took another 30 minutes.

No malware found in my gallery!

I don't know if they fixed it or if un-installing and reinstalling the updates helped, but so far it seems to be working.

I'll keep you guys updated.  🙂

Ysiadairam
Enthusiast - Level 1

The same exact thing has been happening to me every morning when I open my phone, my Samsung Note 3 which I have had for almost two years now. It tells me there is a scanned threat and these are the same 2 items I have been reading on this entire thread. It is telling me that my gallery app is Malware and Secgallery2013.apk is Malware  as well. I couldn't even delete it. I am so glad to have found this thread as I was freaking out thinking there was something wrong with my phone and being that I was unable to remove it.. From what I've been reading everyone here has the same exact issue as I do for the past week or so. I am hoping Verizon Wireless does the right thing by us. They're so expensive and we have for phones with them for the past 9 years ! I am glad my two years are almost up.

Aab93
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've also been getting the same notification, but mine also says that the file is infected with the android.oneclickfraud malware. I looked it up and it is a real malware. I've ran multiple scans with multiple programs, and they all come up clean. It started about 2-3 weeks ago.

ChippersMom
Enthusiast - Level 3

WOO HOOH! You are hitting every nail right on the head!

Snn5 showed us all the miraculous "deletion" on the smartphone screen from 1969! Gees - wasn't that brilliant?

Best pay attention to the earlier post from Sept. 8: "never mind what I have been saying."

Verizon and Samsung have "worked out" the software issue!

Here it is as received from Verizon Sept. 15, 2015:

______________________________________________________________________________________________

VZW MKT VSP       (VZWMKTVSP@VerizonWireless.com)                                                   

Thank you for your email, we have worked with Samsung to resolve the issue.  Please follow the below steps.

Step 1: Open Verizon Support & Protection.

Step 2: VSP users should modify the ‘Manual Scan Options’ in the app settings. 

-          Open the application

-          Go to settings in the top right of the app

-          Change the ‘Scan apps’ setting to ‘All’ in order to scan the Preloaded Samsung Gallery app.

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:robsacco:Documents:droid@screen:droid@screen-5.png

Step 3

Go to the Security tab and confirm that Threat Definition version is 4.2.29.472 or greater.

If Threat Definition version is 4.2.29.471 or lower, tap the ‘Update Protection’ button to get the latest security definition updates.

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:robsacco:Documents:droid@screen:droid@screen-1.png

Step 4

From the Security tab, tap the ‘Scan For Viruses’ button to begin a manual Anti-Virus scan.

Conclusion

The Samsung Gallery app detection notification will be removed after the Anti-Virus scan has completed.

In the event that Steps 1 through 4 do not resolve the Samsung Gallery app detection, continue to Step 5.

Step 5   From your device's apps menu,

-         Settings

-         Apps (application manager).

-         Find the application Support & Protection

-         Open the Verizon Support and Protection app settings. 

Step 6:

-         Tap Clear Data

-         Clear Cache

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:robsacco:Documents:droid@screen:droid@screen-6.png

Step 7:   If unable to execute step 6 because Clear Data & Clear Cache are grayed-out, then:

-          Settingsà Security àDevice Administrator (or phone admin) à Uncheck “Support & Protection”

-          Press back button 3 times to home screen

-         Settings

-         Apps (application manager).

-         Find the application Support & Protection

-         Open the Verizon Support and Protection app settings

-         Clear Data

-         Clear Cache

-         Close

Step 9:     Launch Verizon Support and Protection app

Shell1958
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seems a lot of people are having this same issue! Looking for a resolution myself.

0 Likes
Shell1958
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm so sick of this threat coming up on my note 3! Verizon needs to do a FIX ASAP! Following this thread for a hopeful fix soon! Thank you for all your work and input.