Re: Galaxy S3 Battery Drain with KitKat
dbekas
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's not just Samsung. I have a Motorola RAZR M which has worked quite well for the 2 years or so that I've had it. Never a complaint about the battery life, in fact better than I've been led to expect and better than many other folks I know with other Android phone. KitKat messed it up for me, too. I put up with it for a while but finally decided to call VZW support. I could not get the tech to admit a general problem with KitKat. We went through very basic and useless steps - checking the installed apps, battery usage etc, after which he offered to send me up to level 2 support. I couldn't do it at that time, though, and haven't called back yet.

Then today my wife and I were in the Verizon store to upgrade her phone. She decided she wanted something like mine, so we opted for a RAZR Mini. Similar in more ways than different. As we were waiting for the computer to finish up transaction, I got confirmation from the tech  that there have been lots of complaints and he personally saw the same problem on his own Samsung. Curiously enough, I was able to tell just from today that the battery on this new RAZR, also with KitKat, is draining very quickly.

As far as I'm concerned this is a general KitKat problem and would really like for them to just fess up and move on and fix the problem.

OK, that's my rant...   Smiley Happy

Bettebet
Enthusiast - Level 1

It says turning off ISIS wallet may cause problems with other apps and all my data will be deleted. Do they  mean all my phone data?  Or the isis data ?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NicholasJay,

You have asked a great question. We do not want you to lose all the data on your device. If you are turning off just ISIS wallet only the data for ISIS wallet will be deleted. The only time you will lose all the data on your phone is if you perform a factory reset.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DanielaMarcial

It's bitter sweet that I found this forum with all of these people having the same problem. I thought that something was wrong with my phone such as a bad battery, cord, charge port, etc. Verizon...if you see all of these people having the same problem, then why haven't you done something about it? I am tempted to write a letter to the CEO and BBB. As consumers, we are bullied into buying newer, more expensive models all the time but I wouldn't expect something like this in less than a year after paying over $500 for a phone and then over $250 a month for service. It's not fair! Now that I've got that out, I will say that I have found that it has something to do with the cord. The red X, the moving around of the cable, the 1 amp vs 2.1 amp charger with different cables, the resetting of the device...all of these things have happened to my phone. The strangest thing is that I have used other people's chargers and so far I've found two that will charge my S3 normally and quickly, just as they did before the update because the charger that came with the phone won't work. Even with the black lightning strike it charges at 1% per five minutes or so and then drains quickly. I've purchased and returned a wide variety and combination of chargers and cables. It seems I'm going to have to ask my co-worker where she got her charger so I can buy one because hers works on my phone. I feel like this is their way of making us buy new phones but I don't have that kind of money and our contact still has over a year left on it.

0 Likes
dennygreen

I had the same problem with my vzw gs3 in the short time I used it after it was updated to KK. 

I've also got the same problem with the gs3 that I switched to on another carrier. 

my wife also has a vzw gs3,  and it has the battery drain,  although it isn't a problem for her since she rarely uses her phone and still makes it through a day with juice to spare. But if I look at her battery use,  Android System is always her #1 battery user behind Screen.

As for me,  I've had to resort to using a 4.3 custom rom to get the battery life that I was used to during the first two years of owning a gs3.

Whenever I switch back to KK,  whether it's a custom rom or the official version,  Android System shoots up to #2 on my battery usage behind Screen,  and I can barely make it 14 hours on my extended battery.  that's ridiculous.  I used to get 17 hours out of my vzw gs3 on a stock battery when I got it in 2012.

When I switch back to 4.3,  I can easily make it through 20 hours or so with the same pattern of use,  and Android System uses much less battery than before.

0 Likes
boychik0830
Contributor - Level 1

4.3 was a piece of junk on my s3 battery drain apps crashing and lagging. but now I have a s5 which lasts so much longer. I feel bad for all of the people who are having problems with their s3's. VZW should have fixed them by now.

0 Likes