Funny (shady) business ?
rrutl
Contributor - Level 2

I'm gonna ask this question to see if anyone else out there has experienced anything similar. I wonder if Verizon is or could be interfering with the function of my phone to encourage me to purchase an new device.   About three weeks ago one of my lines became eligible for an upgrade, likewise one on my lines started receiving notifications that I could pay down my device payment amount to 75% and trade it in for a new device (with the accompanying device cost). Along with that, there started a flood of advertising about new devices, and a ramped up marketing effort to promote and target us with solicitations. Within a week, my current device began acting very erratically, making calls without my input or knowledge, and calling persons other than whom I had intended to call. The alarm clock began to randomly miss it's alarm time and not work, and these events are random, not persistent. I consider myself above average in understanding the workings and functionality of smartphones, and I am fully aware of the current state of the security of phones and networks. It is a never ending onslaught of data mining, phishing, ever more advanced targeted advertising, and just plain maliciousness. Every actor in these schemes has their motive (typically money) and I will state that i monitor app activity as well as effects my apps have on battery, data usage, and memory, and cell network usage.

Without seeming to be a conspiracy geek, I know the power and capabilities of those with motives to influence our consumption habits. The cell phone industry has seen a plateau in growth of the numbers of people buying phones (most people that want one already have one) and verizon among others has entered the 'content delivery' and advertising business as a way to continue escalating their revenue stream. Just as evident, planned obsolescence is as much a part of our culture as consumption itself, but when we are steered toward purchasing things not by our own needs, but by the bottom line of corporate giants like verizon, it becomes annoying and even shady. Forget the FCC and with all due respect to the mods here, my question goes out to other people who have unanswered and unusual issues that are dismissed by telephone service reps. I have anti virus protection, Android vulnerability checker, and app bug checking apps on my device. Beyond that the only beneficiary of these odd behaviors would be verizon wireless itself. They disavow any conduct of this type, but many of us know about events that dispute their stellar reputation. Anyone hear about the single mom who they charged   $8500 for supposedly using 570GB of data in a month  ?   Anyway just wondering if any others had similar or like experiences.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Funny (shady) business  ?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Anyone can mark anyone else's answer as helpful. It helps others with the same question find these helpful responses easily.

If you came to a conclusion that I was insinuating that you didn't know how to use your device that is all on you. I don't generally leave responses for others to read between the lines. If I wanted to convey to you that I thought you didn't know how to operate your device I would have said so very plainly. Trust me, I am a very to the point person even when not veiled by the anonymity of the internet. So, if that makes me a troll then so mote it be.

However, if you read my response, I very pointedly stated why VZW does not have a vested interest in any conspiracy to make your phone malfunction by sending some signals to it. In fact, I would guess that by 2020 we won't even be able to buy devices from carriers and that we will have to go directly to the manufacturers. The first sentence of my response was -I am sure that device manufacturers pay VZW a stipend for each device that they sell but VZW's main revenue source is the services we subscribe to.- Verizon makes more money on what we pay at the end of the month than selling devices. I am sure that they would love to stop selling and supporting the device altogether.

Also from my previous response -If anyone has motivation to 'sabotage' the function of your device it is the manufacturer. If everyone keeps their devices until they just don't work any longer then they won't sell more. This is why software is not updated timely or software not capable of running properly on the device is pushed to it.- It is companies like LG, Samsung, Apple and Motorola who make their money off of device sales. Not VZW. It is these companies that control which of their devices get which software updates (good or bad) that may or may not gently nudge you into purchasing a new device. After all, if you made a product and then spent more more money to make a new product and nobody bought it then you'd lose money. Right? .

And finally -Try getting rid of those 'protection' apps and see how the device functions. I don't use ANY of those things. They're useless and do nothing but interfere in the process that are built into to OS to make it work.- This is a suggestion to help you figure out what is causing any malfunction with your device letting you know that these apps do more harm than good. No true tech person would recommend them. I have worked with these devices for well over 5 years. Not a heck of a long time but long enough to know that when I had a customer with any of these types of apps the suggestion was to remove them and come see me if you're still having problems. No complaints after having removed these apps. After all, the app developers need you to install the apps not to help you but to make money off of the ads you see or the purchase price.

Let me clarify this as well (not that it needs it but I can see how you think I am a "troll")- They don't want to deal with you and your device. They just want you to be happy and pay your monthly bill.- You means everyone as customers. Not you singled out.

I hope that I have given you clarification.

View solution in original post

Re: Funny (shady) business ?
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The reason you most likely are having the issues is simply coincidence. Having all those bug apps too as well can start to not work well together and in fact it's overkill.

Also when you are eligible for any promotions you are going to get advertising. You can change this in your alerts.

Try operating the phone in safe mode. If not do a master reset.

And yes I believe that it is a conspiracy theory.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I am sure that device manufacturers pay VZW a stipend for each device that they sell but VZW's main revenue source is the services we subscribe to. There is also a huge markup on accessories and that is why they try to get you to buy them whenever you visit their stores.

VZW is not sending signals to your device to have it malfunction, They don't want to deal with you and your device. They just want you to be happy and pay your monthly bill. If anyone has motivation to 'sabotage' the function of your device it is the manufacturer. If everyone keeps their devices until they just don't work any longer then they won't sell more. This is why software is not updated timely or software not capable of running properly on the device is pushed to it.

Try getting rid of those 'protection' apps and see how the device functions. I don't use ANY of those things. They're useless and do nothing but interfere in the process that are built into to OS to make it work.

0 Likes
rrutl
Contributor - Level 2

How can you mark this other guy's reply as helpful since you didn't ask the original question, just seems to make a mockery of the entire concept of what this community is supposed to be,   lol .   In addition I reject your insinuation that I may not be knowledgeable in how to use my device. Trolling doesn't help and besides I wasn't looking for help, but asking a question to seek comparison. Criticizing my question or point of view and them patting each other on the back for doing so is . . again. . . turning this whole place into a joke. 

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Anyone can mark anyone else's answer as helpful. It helps others with the same question find these helpful responses easily.

If you came to a conclusion that I was insinuating that you didn't know how to use your device that is all on you. I don't generally leave responses for others to read between the lines. If I wanted to convey to you that I thought you didn't know how to operate your device I would have said so very plainly. Trust me, I am a very to the point person even when not veiled by the anonymity of the internet. So, if that makes me a troll then so mote it be.

However, if you read my response, I very pointedly stated why VZW does not have a vested interest in any conspiracy to make your phone malfunction by sending some signals to it. In fact, I would guess that by 2020 we won't even be able to buy devices from carriers and that we will have to go directly to the manufacturers. The first sentence of my response was -I am sure that device manufacturers pay VZW a stipend for each device that they sell but VZW's main revenue source is the services we subscribe to.- Verizon makes more money on what we pay at the end of the month than selling devices. I am sure that they would love to stop selling and supporting the device altogether.

Also from my previous response -If anyone has motivation to 'sabotage' the function of your device it is the manufacturer. If everyone keeps their devices until they just don't work any longer then they won't sell more. This is why software is not updated timely or software not capable of running properly on the device is pushed to it.- It is companies like LG, Samsung, Apple and Motorola who make their money off of device sales. Not VZW. It is these companies that control which of their devices get which software updates (good or bad) that may or may not gently nudge you into purchasing a new device. After all, if you made a product and then spent more more money to make a new product and nobody bought it then you'd lose money. Right? .

And finally -Try getting rid of those 'protection' apps and see how the device functions. I don't use ANY of those things. They're useless and do nothing but interfere in the process that are built into to OS to make it work.- This is a suggestion to help you figure out what is causing any malfunction with your device letting you know that these apps do more harm than good. No true tech person would recommend them. I have worked with these devices for well over 5 years. Not a heck of a long time but long enough to know that when I had a customer with any of these types of apps the suggestion was to remove them and come see me if you're still having problems. No complaints after having removed these apps. After all, the app developers need you to install the apps not to help you but to make money off of the ads you see or the purchase price.

Let me clarify this as well (not that it needs it but I can see how you think I am a "troll")- They don't want to deal with you and your device. They just want you to be happy and pay your monthly bill.- You means everyone as customers. Not you singled out.

I hope that I have given you clarification.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Very well put.

rrutl
Contributor - Level 2

you forgot to mark his 'well put' as also 'helpful'

0 Likes
Aspecurian
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't think this is a conspiracy theory at all; simply a conjecture based on past evidence of corporate greed. 

I recently got a Jetpack MHS800L, which has been unreliable at best from the beginning. Tech support told me, after all manner of checks and resets, to buy a new unit. (Of course.) 

The new unit, the same model I might add, has the same issue. 

On taking it to the local Verizon store, the associate told me that planned obsolescence (not his words, but mine) was the issue. I am using tech from nearly 20 years ago and that doesn't gibe with the corporate model. The fact that it restarts at the least provocation and seems averse to supplying anything but the tiniest trickle of data is a feature, not a bug. 

In addition, my plan is prepaid. That means that I have 3 weeks to use up 21 gigs on a system that shuts down when trying to load a PHOTO. 

Business ethics 101: The point is to make money. If you can get away with it, it's fair game. 

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes