Free upgrade isn't free!
rippedoffverizoncusto

Got charged $30 per line for an upgrade fee on a free phone upgrade.  Funny i guess I am not sure what free means.  Sabrina told me to read the fine print the upgrade fee for the free upgrade is in the contract.  Reminds me of comedy episode where they tell you about the hidden items in contract that you are now responsible for.  I am going to dislike Verizon on all the media websites, to let everyone know what Verizon is all about.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Free upgrade isn't free!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone was free. The upgrade at the two year contract price wasn't. http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/04/bl2012-04-11.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

rippedoffverizoncustomer wrote:

I am going to dislike Verizon on all the media websites, to let everyone know what Verizon is all about.

That will show them.

Some phones ARE free when you purchase with a subsidized upgrade. Fees and/or taxes on those devices mean there is a cost for the transaction but that does not mean the device wasn't free.

For example, some states charge tax on the full retail value regardless if you get the device for free. This was also the case BEFORE the upgrade fee went into effect. So even before the upgrade fee was in place some people still had a cost for that "free" phone. That doesn't mean the device wasn't free, just that there were charges for other reasons.

Another example would be that I get a "free" plane ticket after flying so many miles. I still have to pay fees on that "free" ticket meaning there is still a cost for that "free" ticket. The airlines could simply not charge that fee, but they do. They didn't used to, they do now.

If you don't want to pay the upgrade fee, simply pay full retail for the phone and you won't be charged the $30 upgrade fee. Let's see, free phone with a $30 upgrade fee OR $500 phone with no $30 upgrade fee??? I know which one I would choose.

Of course, then you have to decide if taking the subsidy is worth it or taking the discount on the line access fee instead. Decisions, decisions...

rippedoffverizoncusto

The point is they just introduced this charge recently. No one told me,

but it was in the fine print. Just don't tell me I am getting a free

upgrade when there is actually a $30 upgrade fee. They should advertise it

as "all upgrades are $30", but that doesn't sound all that appealing does

it, as "free upgrades".

Yes I understand the tax implications since I get charged out the wazoo on

my Verizon bill for all sorts of taxes and fees. And by the way the phone

was not free (although that was my choice).

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:07 PM, rcschnoor <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

rippedoffverizoncustomer wrote:

The point is they just introduced this charge recently.

Depends on your definition of "recently". The upgrade fee has been around for well over 2 years. I believe it was instituted in April of 2012, but I may be off by a bit.

Verizon lists this upgrade fee next to ALL of their phones online AND in store. It is in no way hidden.

I have included a link to a news article from May, 2012 talking about the "recent" upgrade fee.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep it was April 2012. I linked it above.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

rippedoffverizoncusto

Depends on your definition of "well over". 2yrs and 2 mos when I signed up

again.

Also I do not see this listed next to phones on the website. THere are

some various numbers but I don't think they refer to this charge.

0 Likes