Factory unlocked GSM phone - is there any way to make this work?
christenlewis816
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I just bought a random off-brand phone from Amazon, not realizing there was a difference between GSM and CDMA.  I know, I know.  Anyway, I have my Verizon SIM card and the phone is working fine on wifi, but no dice in activating my Verizon account.

The phone is the Posh Mobile Titan HD E500 4G GSM Unlocked and frankly it seems like an outstanding phone.  I am not eligible for an upgrade, broke my Droid DNA a while back, replaced it with a Razr M which turned out to be a POS, and didn't want to pay full price for a phone from the Verizon store.

I'm trying to decipher the info on the interwebs, and some sites are saying that Verizon can unlock SIM cards to work with GSM phones, and some phones are dual GSM / CDMA...

I could return the phone but it's really outstanding and I'd probably just end up canceling Verizon service and taking it to TMobile instead, especially with their buyout offers.

Does anyone know if this particular phone can actually be activated on Verizon?  It has a dual SIM, I don't know if that means anything at all, but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks in advance!

Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Factory unlocked GSM phone - is there any way to make this work?
Tidbits
Legend

No it will not. You need an LTE device(Block C rules) to get any data.

Jay_M_
Contributor - Level 2

This is not possible. Verizon Wireless doesn't support unlocked phones unfortunately. However if you'd like to keep it and use it on a smaller network, good luck to ya.

0 Likes
christenlewis816
Enthusiast - Level 2

I probably will - not that impressed with Verizon lately anyway, and this phone is killer.  Thanks for the replies.

Not applicable

Jay.M. wrote:

This is not possible. Verizon Wireless doesn't support unlocked phones unfortunately. However if you'd like to keep it and use it on a smaller network, good luck to ya.

It has nothing to do with Verizon not supporting unlocked phones. A GSM only phone does not have the CMDA radios in them that are necessary to make calls and text. If you want a handheld device that can't call or text you might as well use a tablet.

christenlewis816
Enthusiast - Level 2

Learn something new every day.  I had no idea.  The Verizon phone doesn't work in my house anyway, so I'm hoping to get that resolved and be done with the entire situation.  Thanks.

0 Likes