FM chip
FlaFyrFyter
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want my FM Radio! Unlock the FM chip in all smartphones you sell so I can get important emergency information when data networks are unavailable and reduce the amount of data I use each month

Labels (1)
Re: FM chip
Tidbits
Legend

$10 radio does better and any emergency kit better have one. Also there is more involved than the "chip" and it has been verified by XDA which is very pro everything.

AZSALUKI
Legend

with verizon's track record, i wouldn't expect any fm radios on their phones.

Tidbits
Legend

There are FM radios built into current Qualcomm chips however depending on manufacturer it requires them to set it up on the logic board and have the software put in.  All manufacturers charge and it's not a default feature.

HTC for example use a singular logic board so it's always there just missing the software. However like LG and Samsung they use a completely different logic board. So even if you put the radio software and you can turn it on it will not send that data as it is missing additional components. If people really wanted FM radio pressure manufacturers to make it a standard feature and not a opt out then there is regulation to stop carrier from removing it. Of course manufacturers aren't going to do that because it helps them with their overhead costs.

0 Likes
Nitewulf
Enthusiast - Level 2

So why do all Sprint phones with FM Chips work? Yet the same phone/logic board with verizon doesnt work? Funny that Sprint has no issues with the logic board in their phones. Here is a theory for you, Sprint has unlimited data and wants their users to use less data by giving them FM. Yet, Verizon, most customers do not have unlimited and they want you to use more data so you pay more. Corporations being greedy sounds more likely then logic boards that arent a problem for one cell company. Just a though.

deloused
Master - Level 3

They are not the same phones, that's why. In addition to having different model numbers they also have different hardware and software configurations.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

A lot of various places including sites that are "anti-carrier" all have tested this and they use DIFFERENT Logic boards even if they have the same name...  They have different parts numbers.  So if carriers are not willing to pay for it the manufacturer could use different logic boards.  Why not make it standard instead of charging carriers for it?  If they did that then the FCC would say "No you can't remove that feature" as they did when many moons ago Verizon removed Bluetooth on some devices.

0 Likes
Nitewulf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fair enough. Then Verizon should pay. Here is an idea, how about all the carriers get together and make the manufacturers make them all the same. Or they could use their pull to push FCC to require it if the chip is in there. I remember when all chargers were different until the manufacturers got that changed for most of them.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Why should they? Why can't YOU? Why don't you force the FCC remove the restriction that forces Verizon to support more spectrum for their devices which makes their devices more expensive if they took every other option as people are not willing to pay more for a phone they perceive to be the same on another carrier. Again manufacturers could make it standard but they don't want to pay Qualcomm for licensing, and they don't want to pay the FCC for testing/approval so they pass the buck. Europe has it because in Europe they have to pay premium(more than the US) for their phones so the Manufacturers accommodate for an average of $100-150 more per device. Throw a bone to try and differentiate.

0 Likes
Nitewulf
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I could make a call to FCC and get this changed I would. You got their Corporate HQ number that gets stuff done?

0 Likes