FM Radio
acannon420
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been a LOYAL Verizon customer since 2010, and I'm still disappointed that Verizon keeps disabling the FM RADIO chip in their phones, simply so it's customers will stream music over their data plan so Verizon can make more $$. I recently upgraded to the LG G4 because it HAS the FM Radio chip in it.... now I find out Verizon has disabled it. HEY VERIZON, I'm PAYING for this phone, and I should have the right to access ALL OF IT'S FEATURES. I'm still within my 1st 14 days of my new contract, and I'm SERIOUSLY considering DROPPING my Verizon service altogether.

Labels (1)
Re: FM Radio
Snn5
Legend

You can drop your service, pay the restocking fee, and start over elsewhere, or wait.  Search the community for posts from yesterday-today about possible activation of FM in upcoming devices as well as the possibility of activation of older phones as well.

0 Likes
Nitewulf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lucky you. I didnt find out until after my 14 days that verizon samsung s5 dont have fm radio chip turned on. Thats ok, I will be going back to Sprint.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Research ahead of time.  All carriers remove something, sometimes different features than other carriers.

0 Likes
Nitewulf
Enthusiast - Level 2

I never (until now) had to worry about the realization of phones not having this but having that for the same model with different carriers. Until of course I went to Verizon. Funny how there are things my phone does that Verizon never stated it could do on their page. I figured the FM Radio was one of those. Sprint said it had it, so I figured they all did.

Sorry we cant all be as perfect as you at research and know all about everything with every single phone between carriers. Guess next time I will ensure every app I want to have available is available for the model I want according to the carrier...

Snn5
Legend

Good idea.  Glad my insight helped, or rather, will help in the future.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes, websites with electronics tend to list the features they do have, not the features they don't have.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Verizon removed nothing.

HTC and manufacturers charge for the feature which Verizon opted not to pay for. That is completely different than removing it.

HTC unlike the other manufacturers just removes the software instead of using a different logic boards. XDA has a slew of posts explaining this. If manufacturers made it standard then Verizon couldn't remove it (see lawsuit about bluetooth). Since it is about buy in and not removal.

0 Likes
deanstu

Tidbits. You're right.  There is indeed a difference between "never added" and "removed".  My mistake.  However, it is truly a "distinction without a difference" for the end-user.  The The "More info" URL at the end of my post include an extensive list of phones where the solution works.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

A list of devices 3 years or older...  all the new data has been confirmed this method doesn't work on any device other than HTC because they use the same logic board regardless if a carrier opts in or not.

0 Likes